Serious Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlyG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is about 2 1/2 years old and I have recently had a ton of brown algae growth in my tank. It seems to have started after I purchased my carpet anenome.

It is taking over my tank and I don't know what to do! I have to clean the front of my tank with the magnetic cleaner almost every 12 hrs, otherwise I can't see anything!

I have tried several things already...feed only once per day, leave the lights on for only 6 hrs, do water changes often, check water perameters (phosphate and nitrate levels good)...etc.

FYI....brown alage is thick film on glass...hair like algae on LR

Not sure what else to do, please help! considering taking my carpet anenome back?

Put a blanket or sheet or something to cover the tank up. Leave all the lights off and keep it like this for a few days. Your problem is solved. Also IMHO feeding every day is a lot I feed every other day.

i would not cover the tank with a blanket if you have photosynthetic creatures in it. that carpet anemone needs light to live. besides, excessive nutrients is your problem and that's what you need to address. in many cases feeding "only once per day" is too much. you need to be doing large water changes with good source water and feeding maybe every other day for a while. your nitrates and/or phosphates are not good if you have algae issues, i don't care what the test kits say.
buying more eating, pooping critters isn't the answer either.

I would suggest investing in a sea urchin. They eat all forms of algae. They have a huge appetite and never stop eating so I would suggest no more than 1.

Back
Top Bottom