Setting up a 30 gallon fowler tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macdaddydaze

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've never had a saltwater tank before and I'm making the change from fresh to saltwater and I have a small budget so I have to do it in steps all I have right now is the hob marine land filter a good heater and the salt mix and half a tank full of distilled water

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Best advice I can give is do plenty of research before setting up your new tank! If you are on a budget it is best to save for all the supplies you need before filling it up. A salt tank will need sand and live rock before you can start the cycle, as well as a heater and at least one powerhead for movement. I also recommend buying your own test kits and a refractometer for measuring salinity. For the first time you can mix saltwater straight in the tank but every other water change needs to be done in a separate container with a heater and powerhead to mix it up (usually left overnight) Unfortunately salt water is not cheap and it also requires patience - if you rush in you can waste a lot of money :) what are your plans for the tank? Fish only? Reef?

@bectan01 yeh I'm not gonna set it up until I have got everything I need I bought a refractometer today and I have a power head now my question on the sand is I have sand from my freshwater tank in there should I take it out or can I use that and do I need a sump for just a 30 gallon?

Used sand from a freshwater? Don't use that. The type of sand you use is really up to you, I like a fine sand, some use no sand at all. You don't need a sump, I run my 55g Berlin style - just loads of live rock, powerheads and a skimmer.

Used sand from a freshwater? Don't use that. The type of sand you use is really up to you, I like a fine sand, some use no sand at all. You don't need a sump, I run my 55g Berlin style - just loads of live rock, powerheads and a skimmer.

Alright thanks and its not used idk why I put that its the leftover sand from my freshwater tank but that helps a lot thanks so my next question is can I just buy 15 pounds live rock and then use that to seed 15 pounds of base rock?

Alright thanks and its not used idk why I put that its the leftover sand from my freshwater tank but that helps a lot thanks so my next question is can I just buy 15 pounds live rock and then use that to seed 15 pounds of base rock?

Yeah you can do that. I started with a 30 gallon and used 10lbs of LR to seed the 20 or so pounds of base rock

Yeah you can do that. I started with a 30 gallon and used 10lbs of LR to seed the 20 or so pounds of base rock

OK thanks any stock ideas I got the live rock and everything cycled and have 1 three striped damsel atm

A pair of clowns would work, royal gamma, maybe a Blennie. In a 30g you'll be pretty limited on how much fish you can have but check out liveaqauria.com as they have great info on all types of fish and recommended tank sizes

A pair of clowns would work, royal gamma, maybe a Blennie. In a 30g you'll be pretty limited on how much fish you can have but check out liveaqauria.com as they have great info on all types of fish and recommended tank sizes
Alright I'll look into it thank you

How's the tank going? If you haven't already stocked the tank, I'd get a Valentini Puffer, I'm going to put one in my next tank.

It just has a three striped damsel right now And I'll go buy one

Damsels can get aggressive with age so I would recommend getting fish that are a little mare aggressive so the damsel does not bully all the other fish.

Yeh I know he killed my green spotted puffer

Back
Top Bottom