Shark tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've always wanted to have a shark tank but never could afford it but I've also heard of taking a small pool and converting that..does anyone have some pics of there setup with sharks or with pool idea?

If I could do something like that, I would still go with inactive species like bamboo sharks

I've always wanted to have a shark tank but never could afford it but I've also heard of taking a small pool and converting that..does anyone have some pics of there setup with sharks or with pool idea?

Technically you could use, in theory, anything that will hold water and can be plumbed for filtration. I think you could probably use a "pool" but unless its clear on the sides it wouldn't be much enjoyment. The surface agitation you need for the water to stay aerated would ultimately ruin your viewing experiment. Plus a top down view of fish, sharks and rays isn't as impressive to me as a well built acrylic tank. If all you want are sharks or rays, you could build a shallow but long and wide tank I would think something like a 1' tall by 6' long and wide would be sufficient. That's ~270 US gallons so still reasonably manageable as far as over all maintenance. Tank doesn't absolutely have to be rounded you just have to put some smooth rocks in the corners to keep him from bumping his nose. That's about all I can give on sharks with my length of knowledge.

Technically you could use, in theory, anything that will hold water and can be plumbed for filtration. I think you could probably use a "pool" but unless its clear on the sides it wouldn't be much enjoyment. The surface agitation you need for the water to stay aerated would ultimately ruin your viewing experiment. Plus a top down view of fish, sharks and rays isn't as impressive to me as a well built acrylic tank. If all you want are sharks or rays, you could build a shallow but long and wide tank I would think something like a 1' tall by 6' long and wide would be sufficient. That's ~270 US gallons so still reasonably manageable as far as over all maintenance. Tank doesn't absolutely have to be rounded you just have to put some smooth rocks in the corners to keep him from bumping his nose. That's about all I can give on sharks with my length of knowledge.

Thats too small for aquaria sharks and rays. Id go 2ft deep minimum and 8x8 or better yet, 12x12! Thats 2150 gallons of ocean!

Thats too small for aquaria sharks and rays. Id go 2ft deep minimum and 8x8 or better yet, 12x12! Thats 2150 gallons of ocean!

I disagree. I didn't say put 10 sharks and rays in there. Nor did I say large species. I've seen many successful tanks around here with those same dimensions I stated. As the shark grew I would find it a more suitable home before I put a 12 foot square tank in my house but that's just me.

Yeah...it's not an easy undertaking and it's not something you can do with little funds. I would suggest a massive, round tank. Captain Nemos near me had a 5000 gallon tank and the sharks quickly outgrew it. they were causing damage to themselves and had to be removed ASAP. The point is, 5000 gallons wasn't enough....
They have since made it a "reef tank" of sorts-
7.jpg

Who wants a 2-4' shark? Rehoming them isn't easy. Just be prepared.
Thank you!

Yeah...it's not an easy undertaking and it's not something you can do with little funds. I would suggest a massive, round tank. Captain Nemos near me had a 5000 gallon tank and the sharks quickly outgrew it. they were causing damage to themselves and had to be removed ASAP. The point is, 5000 gallons wasn't enough....
They have since made it a "reef tank" of sorts-

Thank you ad well. Rehoming a shark that big definitely isn't easy. Thats why you should be prepared BEFORE you buy anything

Who wants a 2-4' shark? Rehoming them isn't easy. Just be prepared.
Someone that doesnt make the money to support a 6' Shark :lol: like me. More like doesnt want to spend the money to support one when i can dive and see them all i want.

pool+shark.jpg

I have seen it done, the person used a metal Wal-Mart pool. He cut some port holes into it as well. So it can be done but it's not ideal!

I have seen it done, the person used a metal Wal-Mart pool. He cut some port holes into it as well. So it can be done but it's not ideal!

HAHAHAHA :') that made me laugh!
But yeah I agree - you can do crazy stuff like that but it's not ideal. It would be sad to watch a shark suffering in such a small area like that.

HAHAHAHA :') that made me laugh!
But yeah I agree - you can do crazy stuff like that but it's not ideal. It would be sad to watch a shark suffering in such a small area like that.

It depends on the pool. Some pools are HUG and would provide more than enough space for a small pet shark that most hobbyist keep. The bamboo shark or cat shark would properly be in shark heaven in one one of the pools with how big they are. A black tip shark that I saw in a 17,000 gallon tank would not be happy in a pool tank. Even in that 17,000 gallon tank it looked too small for the black tip. It was a cool looking tank but just seemed too small for that type of shark. Now the Cat Shark or Bamboo shark would be in shark heaven.

Heritage 30' x 15' x 52" Above-Ground Pool Package - Walmart.com

Heritage Round 18x52 Deep Gold above Ground Pool Package, Swimming Pool above Ground, Round above Ground Pool, Kids Swimming Pool, Heritage Swimming Pool

I mean they are huge pools and already rounded so perfect small shark tank in a box! My only question is "Salt"? How do people get so much salt without breaking the bank?

The one pool is around 15 thousand gallons for the oval pool. If I had to buy salt for around 64 dollars for 200 gallons than that's around $5000 dollars for salt.

The round pool is 8 thousand gallons. So it just seems like the Salt cost would be astronomical unless there is something else that people use for a bigger tank?

I just say it's not ideal because the pool might not be the greatest long term tank because of decay or flimsiness. We all heard about them type of pools breaking but than again aquariums break too so I guess it's all a risk no matter how you do it.

This is the website for the Shark Tank. You tell me if it looks big enough? I think if it was longer rather than deeper than yeah 17,000 gallons might be it's deeper rather than longer.

http://www.aquaticsandexotics.com/store.htm

Besides from the answer 'The Ocean" what length and size would a black tip reef shark be good in? If I had the money I would build a HUG tank to keep them because I think they are cool looking, but I know they can swim for Miles a day in the ocean, so how big is big enough is the question for a captive breed black tip shark?

http://www.aquaticsandexotics.com/store.htm

lol I was talking about the metal Walmart pool

I have seen worse! A poor cat shark in a 180 gallon which everyone says is the minimal tank size for them. Same for a Bamboo Shark. A two foot shark in a 6 foot tank that's only two foot width! That's not very fair for the shark!

But a two foot shark in a 30 foot in length and 15 foot in width tank seems more fair. It's even deeper than a 180 gallon tank giving more swim space.

Sharks are big produces of waste. You would need a big filter, skimmer, circulation, temperature control. That alone would come to thousands of dollars.

Filtration and temperature control would be something that would be factored in as well. No matter what way you go it's going to be a big upfront cost for a shark tank. Unless you do what some people do that buy a 180 gallon tank and throw two sharks in. If you want to do it right it's going to be expensive. The Pool is just a option for the water that would be cheaper to use than to build one out of supplies that would cost a lot more.

Still my question remains, how do you get so much salt? Do you buy the "Instant Ocean"? Or is there something else that the people with bigger tanks use to start out?

Public aquariums do one of two things. If close enough to the coast they bring in filtered seawater. But many use the same salt we do in bulk amounts.

So yeah it would be 5 grand for salt for a BIG tank that is 15 thousands gallons. So right there you are already looking at 7 grand, than add the filters and heaters you are in the 10 grand range for even a pool tank. PLUS if you want to cut unto the metal to provide a few port holes to look into too, that will add to the cost and risk of tank failure.

Back
Top Bottom