Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako_

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am fascinated in sharks. My goal in the future is to own a true monster shark when I become loaded with money and am a veteran salt water aquarium owner. I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn but I was wondering what types of sharks can be owned. Can you list specific speicies? I want to read up on it so that I can get a little motivation to reach this goal. Also, how much would the price be around for each shark? I heard that people owned Nurse Sharks, Bamboo Sharks, black-reef sharks, white tipped sharks, and some sting/manta rays. What is the usual tank size for these monsters?

Thanks. I will read this. I appreciate it.

As you can see from that link they require a huge tank and are very difficult to raise.

My gut reaction is to try to disuade you from ever considering it, BUT if you are truly fascinated and dedicated to learning then I can't do that. There are people that very responsibly keep sharks in home aquaria. It CAN be done. It's expensive and not easy, but possible. The commonly available sharks in the hobby are the wrong ones to consider. I know nothing about it myself, but a friend of mine in the local club has kept sharks for years. Ignore anything heard at an LFS, take each step one at a time (i.e. get FW "down" first then research SW), and have realistic goals measured in years. :)

Off-topic- yea, 3G- betta, no more and only if it's heated and filtered. If I read or remember wrong, I apologize.

My gut reaction is to try to disuade you from ever considering it, BUT if you are truly fascinated and dedicated to learning then I can't do that. There are people that very responsibly keep sharks in home aquaria. It CAN be done. It's expensive and not easy, but possible. The commonly available sharks in the hobby are the wrong ones to consider. I know nothing about it myself, but a friend of mine in the local club has kept sharks for years. Ignore anything heard at an LFS, take each step one at a time (i.e. get FW "down" first then research SW), and have realistic goals measured in years. :)

Off-topic- yea, 3G- betta, no more and only if it's heated and filtered. If I read or remember wrong, I apologize.

Yes. I will of course have to take this goal slow and break it down into different parts and accomplish them before I get a shark. It will take many years but like you said, Dedication will get me to that point.

It's not like you're trying for a whale. People have and continue to do sharks, but it takes years of learning and some big bucks. Just show a little faith and you'd be suprised what can happen.

Oh no.... You said shark... I cant wait to read this thread....LOL

I say get one... I had a nurse in a 125 gallon... Kept it about 2 years or so. They grow like mad so make sure you have a place to take it when it out grows the tank. I took mine to my LFS and traded it for some other goodies... It was fun to keep! Would eat out of my hand! Not real pricey either! Kept it without a hitch!

In complete honesty, stick to small reef dwelling sharks such as Epaulette's, Bamboo's, Horn sharks, catsharks, etc. unless you can literally afford at least a 10,000g display for Requiem sharks. Most requiem sharks would eventually have to be moved from a 10,000g display and into larger aquariums (think large pools upwards of 25,000g+). This would also cost you ten of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands.

Last edited:
Hey! If you do what you gotta do, go for it. Sounds like a great adventure as you research and plan. I admire your determination.

Oh no.... You said shark... I cant wait to read this thread....LOL

I say get one... I had a nurse in a 125 gallon... Kept it about 2 years or so. They grow like mad so make sure you have a place to take it when it out grows the tank. I took mine to my LFS and traded it for some other goodies... It was fun to keep! Would eat out of my hand! Not real pricey either! Kept it without a hitch!

You said a Nurse shark isn't very pricy? How much did you get yours for? I found one for $1000 but that is the cheapest I found. I also saw bamboo shark eggs for $34

Not sure if you read my previous post...either way Nurse sharks are not recommended for home aquaria.

Well I am trying to still get an idea on them.

What specifically do you want to know? Your best options are like the ones I previously listed, that stay relatively small enough to make housing reasonable.

Well, Nurse sharks are nice but I am actually leaning toward getting something like a white-tipped reef shark in the future. Nurse sharks would be cool to have since they don't bite. Bamboo sharks would be cool to have as a beggining shark.

No offense as I am here to help, but I sense some naïve understanding of their requirements and general nature. All sharks bite, some more willingly than others and all willing during feeding sessions, whether conspecifics or not. Nurse sharks are more laid back except when feeding and behave much like a pitbull when biting, I.e. They don't let go. They also attain more than 10ft and 200lbs. That is a lot of shark. White tips, though smaller, still reach 4-5ft and 30-40lbs. They also tend to be mouthy. You'd still need a large swimming pool-sized display to house such animals.

Back
Top Bottom