Should I get a mandarin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 150g tank with 110# of LR with yellow tang, naso tang, honeycomb grouper, green bird wrasse, snowflake eel, and niger trigger and I was WONDERING if I could gat a green or spotted mandarin. I have heard of stories where a fish is about to attack them then they put their spine up and the fish stops only reason Im wondering. Thanks.

i wouldnt trust a mandarin with those fish if it were me. The mandarin I have is very tiny and fragile looking lol. Doesnt look like it could fend for itself.

My mandarin lives with a mean tomato clown and they usually stay away from each other. Mandarins "crawl" in crevices and mine hangs around little wholes looking for food where the big mean fish doesn't go to.
I'm more worried about the food issue, hope u know what u r getting yourself into
I consider myself lucky that I found one for $30 that is still happy and fat with the life brine shrimp I give him. The place I got him from said that all their other mandarines died and mine is the only one that made it :(

Where do you live that you found one for 30. I live in Sw fl and can drive 20 minutes in any direction a hit 6 fish stores and I still cant find them for less than 50. I don't want to spend that much on one with the high rate of death they have

I'm in florida and they are $20 for a wild caught one and $45 for the ORA tank raised. I have the ORA one and I gotta say the hype about them eating prepared foods isnt worth it. Mine is only eating the prepared foods somewhat so I'm not too happy about that.
I may have to move her to my 125g where the pods are plentiful. Tough little fish to keep alive let me tell you! I thought my scooter was difficult. lol

GsxrD said:
Where do you live that you found one for 30. I live in Sw fl and can drive 20 minutes in any direction a hit 6 fish stores and I still cant find them for less than 50. I don't want to spend that much on one with the high rate of death they have

I'm in Orlando FL :)
my store only had em once and didn't see them getting mandarins again

I'm in deltona, halfway between orlando and daytona.

I go to daytona for my fish now, he alwasy has mandarins and alot of other really neat fish.

Where do you go? I sometimes go to oceans direct in longwood or fishy business in longwood as well. I've been to aqua studios I think it was in orlando and the prices were obscene!! he did have alot of neat stuff though, just priced like crazy. lol

Yes, it's Aquaria studio at Waterford lakes in Orlando. It's jut around the corner from our house and they usually give me good deals and % off. That's where I got my $30 mandarin :)
Maybe one day I'll make it to longwood if they are good :)

Yeah, that store is awesome but soo expensive. They wanted $50 for a midas blenny when it should be like $30. I do like their corals though. And their tanks are stellar, it inspired me to do another build in fact after seeing them.

Oceans direct in longwood is a great store too, wonderful selection and the corals are really priced well. Fishy business has alot of weird fish but I've only ever bought corals from him.

Guess once I got my tank up and running I will check em out... If I go there now I may end up buying stuff before I have space for it :D

Wow I lived in deltona for 4 year and worked in Orlando the whole time. Small world lol. I'm in ft myers now and there not cheap here lol

So? About the mandarin. Any more opinions? I actually have a beach house in FL but live in NJ. Beach house is on Singer Island!

JMO but he wont last long with the snowflake it seems like pricey fish food

Anyone else? If I did add one, what should I do. Should I feed all of the fish before and then turn out lights? I really want one of these guys and any suggestions would be appreciated.

My snowflake eel has never ever shown aggression to any of my fish, even my yellow tang that always bumps her fin in his face. Maybe it's just mine, but it's very docile. Mine is only about a foot long though so maybe it's too young.

Mines a baby too. My main concern is my grouper. Hes only about 6" but eats HUGE shrimp. If I added the mandarin at night would that help?

I wouldn't add him. The grouper and the trigger scare me. Anyways, mandarins are one of those fish that absolutely should not be kept in aquariums. They require a constant supply of copepods, which is difficult to maintain. Even if you get one that eats prepared food, it's not healthy since you are not feeding it whenever it wants to eat, you're feeding it when you want. These fish have high metabolism that require them to eat frequently.

I know. I am trying to get my pod count up. Would it HELP if the fish were fed and the lights out. I will take all proper precautions neccesary (if I get it of course). Any help appreciated.

I think if the fish are going to hurt it, they would do it whenever they wanted to. And if not when it's first placed, then the next day.

Back
Top Bottom