shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shjuho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What type of shrimp should I get for a 55 gallon FO tank with a yellow tang, blue tang, flame angel, and a percula clown. I know, we shouldn't have two tangs in our small tank but we didn't know this until after we bought them - LFS recommended.

What kind of shrimp interest you?

I mean you got a fair selection.

Peppermint
Skunk Cleaner
Blood Shrimp
Mantis
Coral Banded

For the Peppermint, Skunk or Blood I would get a pair if you where to get one of those type.

I don't really have a preference - just want to make sure that we select the correct kind for our tank.

shjuho said:
I don't really have a preference - just want to make sure that we select the correct kind for our tank.

There is no real "correct" kind, only what kind you like. However I would go with something fishfreek recommended, some of the other shrimp are a hassle to care for.

jamal-188 said:
shjuho said:

There is no real "correct" kind, only what kind you like. However I would go with something fishfreek recommended, some of the other shrimp are a hassle to care for You can never go wrong with a couple cleaner shrimp, beneficial in cleaning your fish and won't harm a thing.

How about camel shrimp? Are they OK for cleaning crew in a FOWLR tank? Can they be mixed with other shrimp species? How many should one have in a 55?

KLN said:
How about camel shrimp? Are they OK for cleaning crew in a FOWLR tank? Can they be mixed with other shrimp species? How many should one have in a 55?

They will not clean your fish like the skunk and fire cleaners will but they will eat leftover food in the tank. They will get along fine with other species but are usually not reef safe in case you plan on going this route later on. There is no exact or right number of shrimp to add to you tank. It all depends on what else you want to add to your tank. If you plan on adding a few other kinds of shrimp I'd stick with one or two camels.

Is there any othe thing you can feed a harlequin shrimp other thn star fish? I would love to have them with some scarlet , skunk, and peppermint shrimp in a Coral only tank.

Electrobes said:
Is there any othe thing you can feed a harlequin shrimp other thn star fish?
Nope, rarely they are found eating urchins in the wild but never take to them in captive care. If you are unable/unwilling to feed the harlequin starfish, best not get one....

Agreed on the camel shrimp. If you want corals of anykind do not get these guys as they will pick at the corals causing damage. If just an FOWLR, they will be fine otherwise...

Cheers
Steve

This sound pretty cruel but I read the cheapest way to keep the harlequin shrimp it to have a few chocolate chip star fish in your fuge and roatate them in and out of your tank so the shrimp never actually kills one and they heal with in the fuge.

I'm sure I'd agree with doing that, it sounds overly cruel to me to keep allowing an animal to be eaten partially then healed etc...

I got a fire shrimp in my tank, and it loves to check out anything that comes near it, unfortuatly the fish dont like being gropped by shrimp antennae! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom