Small bubbles from live sand ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello

:idea: Has anyone any insight on this? There are tiny bubbles coming up from under the sand. Not just in one spot, but all over. I have a 2 inch bed of reg. reef sand and then added about an inch of LS on top. I can see the bubbles as they work there way up and out of the sand in front.
Is this normal? Bacteria breaking down waste ? Thanks 8O

Not sure what it is but I just did the same thing the other day and I have small bubbles. If I had to guess it would just be small pockets of air working there way out.

That is the gasses being released from the biological filtration process from the DSB. A buildup of these gases may be harmful if allowed to collect under a rock etc and not allowed to escape the system.

Live sand

I would get a sand sifter star fish or a flounder. These are neat animals as well as being good at delivering o2 to the bacteria in the sand. Usually it is nitrogen being released from bacteria, but it could be traped air. either way getting one of the fish I suggested would be fun to watch and rid your sand of these bubbles.

The problem with bringing O2 to the SB is you will not get any denitrifying bacteria to rid the system of nitrates. It wont be be a true DSB benefiting the system.

A SS star and a flounder are bad ideas for a tank your size...
1- flounders get big and will eat small fish
2- a SS star will starve in a small tank over time.

Sit back and pop a cold one and watch the tank do its thing IMO nothing to worry about a natural process..

How old is the tank ?

The tank is only a month old right now i only have a few snails and Hermit crabs to do clean up....... gallon long tank I want ot put a couple of clowns in too ut later

In a new tank it is soon for denitrifying to have started, what kind of sand and did you use. It is probably trapped air from when you set the tank up. Did you add the sand before or after the water?

Hello

I added the Marie sand first (3 inches ) then the water. Let sit for a couple days to clear up. Thne added 1 inch LS from LFH . The bubbles didnt appear until the tank cycled. I figure just biological processes.

Amon 0
Ites <.03
Ates ?
Calcium 420
Alk 9
Temp 78.5
SG 1.025

Back
Top Bottom