So complicated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no mucus. This is the second clown ive dipped according to the lfs advice and the 1st 1 died and this one took a turn for the worse and is going to die. Im at a loss here. I dont know what im doing i guess. Im not going to keep losing fish so maybe i should just go back to freshwater. I dont lose freshwater fish. Thanks for trying to help though. It seems there are too many variables with saltwater. Too much grey area with no science behind it. It should work like , put your water at this level and if this happens do this. Not, it could be one of a million variables. FRUSTRATED!

Oh and yes he's just laying there waiting to die. He makes an occasional attempt to swim and then sinks back to the bottom.

Really sorry about your clowns, it might be brooklynella that got them. It is a white filmy disease and is pretty fatal if not caught and treated, which to be honest i'm not quite sure how you would treat it as I have been very lucky.

If you like a challenge and enjoy your tank don't give up! It sometimes takes a while to get the hang of things salt, but just read and research every question you have and you will get it. :) The people on this forum are awesome and if you ever have any questions feel free to post a thread and we will all be ready and willing to help.

I know you are frustrated. I agree that it can be frustrating. Before you give up on salt, let your tank sit empty for a little bit so that if you did have ich, it will die off as it has no host and means to continue its life cycle. I almost gave up at the beginning but found someone that had a lot of useful information and tips...had I'd had from the beginning, I probably wouldn't of gone through so many fish. :(. I had no idea what QT meant and why I should before I put them in my tank. I also didn't know much about fish and what I could and couldn't put together...honestly, I didn't know diddle!! LOL! I still don't know much and I've had saltwater fish on and off since I was in college! Don't give up just yet!

I do agree with Carey, it sounds like they had brooklynella. I've read different things about how to get rid of it but it's very difficult.

Well i did some reading up on brooklynella and thats exactly what it sounds like. I dont know how these clowns contracted that when they were in the tanks of the lfs for several weeks and seemingly in perfect health. Going forward i am going to qt every purchase i make for my tank. Im not quitting. I enjoy it too much. I just feel bad that i didnt research enough in advance and ultimately i am to blame for the death of these fish. I dont like the idea of taking lives to gain knowledge.

Most of the LFS have all their tanks on one system so all the fish water gets redistributed to all the tanks. Stress of acclimation, transport, etc. only weakens their immune systems. I looked up a link to help you for your next additions and I read it and also learned a few things (you never know what you don't know!)! Since you have an idea as to what your fish had, I might research the bacteria and see if it is something that can lay dormant in your system or if it is gone once it no longer has a host. I know ich has a dormant stage but can't remember how long. I'm so happy you are sticking with it!

Back
Top Bottom