Soaking food in Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Soaking my food in garlic extract is extremely smelly. I would like to soak my food for around a half hour or so but the room stinks so bad that I can not take it.
Can anyone suggest a way to soak my food for at least a half hour, that will reduce the smell?
At the present time I put a few drops in the plastic cup of Mysid Shrimp and then put it into the tank or put the appropriate drops directly into the tank then put the food in. The total time of the garlic being exposed to air is seconds and it still stinks.

Thanks

Maybe you can put it in the bathroom and turn the fan on and it can draw it out for that half an hour. As long as I`ve been here I`ve never heard anyone complain about garlic. I love the smell of garlic but that is me.

I only use two drops for my 55G. Mine stinks, but not that bad. Sit it by a window or any of the other suggestions sound great.

Thank you all for your advice, I went to the hardware store today and purchased a Mason Jar for a US dollar. It is working well, it is air tight and it is containing the smell. Hope this helps.
Good luck with the server move this website rocks

Ive never heard this before! Can you guys explain this process to me, what it is and why you do it.

I like to soak my frozen food in garlic extreme (for stronger immune systems and to get finicky eaters to eat), Zoe and Selcon (for added vitamins).

I soak for about 30 minutes, no water, just the additives. I get home from work, start soaking, feed the dog, do some other stuff and then feed the tank, so sometimes it's less or more.

Ok so you soak your food in GARLIC? To help your fish's immune system? What kind of food? And what kind of garlic? Do I just chop it up and let the food sit in it?

oo7cable said:
Ok so you soak your food in GARLIC? To help your fish's immune system? What kind of food? And what kind of garlic? Do I just chop it up and let the food sit in it?
I use a product called garlic extreme. It help boost their immune systems and helps finicky eaters. I use the San Fransisco Bay frozen products, like brine and mysis, just add the vitimens and garlic, I would suggest rinsing it before you put that stuff in it, to remove any possible phosphates. I also alternate with flakes, but don't soak those.

If I had to guess, I would just use the juice. Here is what is in that particular product:
99% Allium Sativum Extract (Garlic Juice), Citric Acid and Ascorbic Acid (as preservatives).
So, again, just a guess, if you can squeeze the juice out, you should be good. I would check the ingredients on your garlic source, as tehy may add other things. I would imagine, if it were fresh, you could probably just use that juice.

I would suggest rinsing it before you put that stuff in it, to remove any possible phosphates.

Dumb question, I'm sure... how do you rinse frozen food, like in a strainer or something? As a freshie, I've never done that before.

Back
Top Bottom