Some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venomfreak65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would love to do some lr iny new 125 gallon I'm setting up but just runnin out of money now lol. Will it be ok if I wait on the lr but have 3 filters and a uv sterilizer and do frequent water changes?

What is that? I've never heard of base rock is it a type of live rock?

Its rock that doesnt have anything growing on it. Live rock seeds base rock and then things grow on it. Its much cheaper to buy then LR

If I buy fake decor or evn find some base rock how is the best way to clean these things before they go into your tank?

You juts have to rinse base rock and the same for "decor". I would urge you to get some base rock though and as you get some money you can always add more base rock as you go. Theres no curing involved with base rock so it can go right in your tank whenever you want.

Fake decor in a SW tank won't look very nice after a short while. Stuff grows on it and it'll lose the color it once had. Not pretty at all IMO.

One more question, if I'm using no lr will my tank be harder to get cycled? How's the best way to do this or will it just happen?

You would dose you tank with ammonia to start the cycle with either a dead shrimp or pure ammonia. :) The live rock cna give your cycle a jumpstart as it can have die off that can generate ammonia as well as having some beneficial bacteria on it.

If I buy just like 2 or 3 pounds of lr can that do it or will I need more? I'm doing live sand too btw will that help?

I think live sand isnt very live and has no real benefit. Some would disagree. :)

I would say a 80%-20% mix with base being the 80% is a good mix for a new tank.

How long should I wait after adding my prime dechlorinizer to add my salt?

You are using tap water then? Not the best way to go in my opinion, leaves lots of opportunities for algae and other nutrient issues....

BUT if you can't get ro/di water then I guess just dechlorinate and add your salt a few minutes later. i dont see any issue with that.

You can get a cheap ro/di unit for abotu $65 if you have the cash. it's one of the few things you really should consider...

I. Got a good uv sterilizer so hopefully that'll help with algae and parasites

When you get some live rock, make sure it has a lot of Coraline on it. Also, a ro unit is a good investment, you should look
Into it.

Reverse osmosis deionization unit is what it stands for. It removes undesired dissolved solids out of the way through reverse osmosis and then removes any charge to the water wy the molecular level through the process of deionization

Basically gives u pure water

It removes everything. Chlorine, heavy metals, nitrates, phosphates, everything bad for your tank is gone. 99.9% pure water. Everything your fish, inverts, and corals need is then replaced by your salt mix. I didn't use one when I started my tank as I wasn't familiar with its benefits. Trust me you want one, saves alot of headaches.

Back
Top Bottom