Sorry NEWB question here about my 12 Gallon….

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyMCG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I had a little freshwater community tank with female bettas and some cories in a 12 gallon Eclipse tank. I got a much larger tank which is now my freshwater community tank. I have a total of 4 different freshwater setups right now…but i cleaned up my little 12G Eclipse and packed it away…for about a week, I couldn't stand the thought of having a perfectly good aquarium sitting there unused.

I last had a FOWLR tank about 10 yrs ago and pretty much have no knowledge anymore, I was young.

I am setting this 12G up as a Fish-Only aquarium. The gravel is crushed coral. The decor will be fake rocks, dead live rocks, and maybe some dead coral….for now anyways. :)

The tank is up and cycling (2 weeks into the cycling) and i am planning on maybe a goby, or clown, or firefish for the tank, and a snail or 2. Not sure yet, but what I need to know is does a small 12 gallon eclipse tank NEED a powerhead or little koralia fan in it if it is just a dead-decor fish only tank? Or will the eclipse wheel up top provide enough current and oxygen in the tank?

I've been reading different things online and can't really find a straight up answer for one in a 12g fish only tank. If it helps the fish, and reduces algea growth or dead spots i'll get it. But if I can save a buck, that's always nice too! :D

I think your filter would be just fine for the water flow. If you decide to get corals later on, then I would get a powerhead, but for now, you should be fine.

I would disagree that the eclipse would be sufficient. The application of power heads isn't just for flows sake, it actually serves a more important function. By using a powerhead, you can create more surface agitation to raise oxygen levels and stabilize PH. Another important facet is the actual circulation. The more circulation you have the better. It will keep waste and uneaten food suspended in the water column to be either consumed by the fish or sucked up by the filter.

Low flow will allow all that stuff to just sink to the bottom and rot, and with the crushed coral substrate, that can lead to high nitrates and high phosphates which will fuel alot of algae.

im aware of this, but then, why doesnt EVERYBODY use powerheads, even FW. sure, yes, it does help, but it isnt NEEDED.

Most people actually do use power heads, even in nano setups as small as 5 gallons. Gas exchange is crucial to ph stability and the hob filters just don't cut it. The benefit of having clean substrate and less contaminates in the water column far out weigh the $14.95 price of a cheap maxi-jet.

Sure, he could run the tank without one, but then once the detritus and other waste builds up in the substrate because of poor flow, he'll get a nice algae bloom and then come back and ask how to get rid of it. The answer at that point will be vacuum substrate and increase flow to allow the filter to collect better. So yes, I feel it is NEEDED for a healthy tank.

A powerhead would help the fish too so they have some resistance to swim against, I wouldn't say one is essential in such a small tank but it's defiantly advisable :)

Back
Top Bottom