Starfish climbing out of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trnewsom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a red serpent star in a 14 gal biocube to quarantine before moving to my large tank. He keeps climbing up the back and over into the filtration system. There is live rock and hiding places so I don't know why he's doing this. I know there is a rather large bristle worm in there. Could that be why he won't stay in? He actually has to leave the water to get over the side. For now I just decided to leave him there.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Serpent stars will hide most of the time. They will stick their arms out to catch food if they can. The green one I have in my tank is usually never seen, to the point where I thought it was dead and gone until he just recently showed back up this month. This quote from liveaquaria.com sums it up really nicely
It does well in an aquarium if provided with ample hiding places and plenty of room to roam. Even though it is a nocturnal animal, it will eventually learn to come out during the day to eat.

I have about 10 serpent stars in my 90 some hide as some sun under the lights ,
I had 1 climb out but he worked his way down to the lower tank , I don't know how he knew there was another water source but apparently he did ,

Back
Top Bottom