starting over and upgrading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently have started to upgrade my 30 gallon to a 55 gallon, i have a brown algae problem.. but ive tackled that as well, upgraded my skimmer, increased water movement, and i also run GFO, but while im upgrading i think it would be best to start from scratch. I want to get rid of all the algae from my liverock and sand, because i will be reusing them both. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of scrubbing the rock with a brush and giving it a dip in RODI water. And for the sand rinse it with a weak bleach solution. any suggestions?

Blakskall said:
I recently have started to upgrade my 30 gallon to a 55 gallon, i have a brown algae problem.. but ive tackled that as well, upgraded my skimmer, increased water movement, and i also run GFO, but while im upgrading i think it would be best to start from scratch. I want to get rid of all the algae from my liverock and sand, because i will be reusing them both. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of scrubbing the rock with a brush and giving it a dip in RODI water. And for the sand rinse it with a weak bleach solution. any suggestions?

I would just replace the sand entirely. I dont think rinsing with bleach would be good. Also dipping you rock in ro/di will kill off lots of beneficial bacteria and has no benefit. Old tank water would be the best choice. You dont want to kill anything, you want to remove it. Otherwise your just transferring die off and nutrients to the new tank.

You really wanted to refresh the rock you need about 2 months sitting in a covered container no light with saltwater. Will kill all algae and rid of some nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom