Starting to feel a failing grade in FOWLR 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From my understanding, diatoms consume silica in the sand, so if the sand gets stirred up a little, they'll come back. They'll eventually stop after all the silica is consumed, from what I've read. And conchs are totally reef safe, they're just bigger snails, basically. They stay on the sandbed, though, they will disappear behind the rocks for a couple days and then they'll be back up front. They are great cleaners and kinda cool to watch- they'll stick their "tongues" waaaaayyyy out sometimes and they have those eyes that stick out on either side of the shell. I like mine. :)

From my understanding, diatoms consume silica in the sand, so if the sand gets stirred up a little, they'll come back. They'll eventually stop after all the silica is consumed, from what I've read. And conchs are totally reef safe, they're just bigger snails, basically. They stay on the sandbed, though, they will disappear behind the rocks for a couple days and then they'll be back up front. They are great cleaners and kinda cool to watch- they'll stick their "tongues" waaaaayyyy out sometimes and they have those eyes that stick out on either side of the shell. I like mine. :)

+1 I haven't seen my conch in 5-6 days now lol and yeah they are cool to watch especially when they're really tryna get somewhere fast and they "jump" lol they're awesome

Diatoms dont feed on excess nutrients, they feed on silica/silicate. Increased flow/ different flow/ pristine water really doesnt play a major role. I may have missed it but where exactly did your sand come from? Is it a sw specific sand? Or is it some other form of sand? The only sure fire way is to pinpoint the exact source. If its growing just on the sand, then id say its the sand. Id personally just ride it out, dont get too discouraged. It can only last so long before itll burn itself out. Im not sure if its photosynthetic but you may wanna check on that

54seaweed said:
Ben,
try moving your power heads around pointed in all directions to get better flow

I appreciate your response, but I have almost 47 x flow in my tank between 3 powerheads in a 55 gallon...

So I think I figured out what was happening.. The "diatoms" really ended up being cyano, which I have addresses but still scratching my head. Last water change I got a whiff of a terrible scent. Turns out my biggest turbo snail was wedged behind my skimmer intake and died. I would imagine it was releasing high ammonia levels, and in turn high nitrate levels... I have a rock with grass on it which was absorbing most of the trates but not all. Dead snail is now out and I will resume my water changes and see if this was in fact the cause. Thanks for everyone's help!

So I think I figured out what was happening.. The "diatoms" really ended up being cyano, which I have addresses but still scratching my head. Last water change I got a whiff of a terrible scent. Turns out my biggest turbo snail was wedged behind my skimmer intake and died. I would imagine it was releasing high ammonia levels, and in turn high nitrate levels... I have a rock with grass on it which was absorbing most of the trates but not all. Dead snail is now out and I will resume my water changes and see if this was in fact the cause. Thanks for everyone's help!

Glad to hear you that! Hopefully everything works out fine for ya now lol

Does that make sense though, or should i do some more digging into the cause?

Nice... I hope so! I added a nem last night and a coral banded shrimp and was scared when I saw the snail... Gotta mix some water tonight and do a change tomorrow!

Nice... I hope so! I added a nem last night and a coral banded shrimp and was scared when I saw the snail... Gotta mix some water tonight and do a change tomorrow!

I'm sure everything will work out for ya! :) post some pics of the nem and shrimp if ya can

I'm sure everything will work out for ya! :) post some pics of the nem and shrimp if ya can

image-3850185505.jpg

Here ya go! Even got a pic of my mandarin in there... The nem looks great this morning, definitely found his spot! My clowns aren't hosting tho 8-(

Attachments

• image-1412934772.jpg
    image-1412934772.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 69
Great pics! Give it time, they may host eventually :) I have 2 clowns and I have about 3 or 4 "wavy" LPS corals and they don't even pay attention to them lol

Think u should do more digging into the causes of cyano there is a thread about it...

Came home, tank look good... Nem looks great!

image-4205654758.jpg

BUT... RIP Bruiser, my Springer's Dottyback. He jumped 8-(

Back
Top Bottom