Stock check!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceejec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, just want to get some opinions on what fish I should add including CuC.. I'm currently running a penguin 350 filter, koralia 2, and nano for flow, RO/DI very soon after cycling, and maybe protein skimmer after 2 clowns. Right now I'm planning for:

2x Ocellaris Clownfish (must have)
1x Midas Goby
1x Royal Gramma
1x Flame Hawkfish
OR
2x blue green chromis

Peppermint shrimp
Fire shrimp
4 Turbo snails
3 Hermit crabs

That said, I'm not 100% sure if I'll stick to FOWLR or do reef in the future, if I can find hardy corals to start with then maybe..

Let me know what you think :)

How big is you tank? Hawkfish are known to pick snails right off the glass and eat them and I believe crabs and shrimps are on their menu as well. As soon as the clown fish pair up expect them to become bullies so you might not see much of a midas or the gramma.

Thanks for the reply, my tank is 29G 30x12. Do you think I could put a baby yellow tang or regal in it and take it out once it gets bigger?

Oh no :(.. I'll have to get a bigger tank then! Maybe in the near future =P

So no hawkfish, pair of clowns, and tangs.. I've read somewhere that chromis can be territorial, is that a myth or fact? I'm looking at blue-green chromis btw.

Chrosmis are aggressive towards each other actually I have never seen one go after another fish. You could have just a pair of clowns in that tank without a problem. The one that turns into a female will get large and mean usually. The only thing about keeping a tang is disease they get ich very easy and lateral line disease. As much as I would like one I won't ever get one because it just isn't worth it to me.

I had 2 Chromis but had to take 1 back 2 days later cos he was bullying the other to death. I now have 1 Chromis he seems ok but occasionally has a nip at my clown but nothing to major (so far)
HTH, Eddy :)

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll have one clown, gramma and goby.. any other fish suitable for this set up?

I have a royal gramma that is out all the time but he was the first fish in the tank. Try to decide which fish you are wanting then the order to put them in to hold down the aggression, You could get a pj cardinal or small wrasse of some type.

i have 2 clowns and 4 chromis in my 29G biocube and they have been fine for over a year. I even had a 1" yellow tang in it for a year before moving it to a bigger tank. No ones tanks are all the same and everyones not always going to agree with you, your tank is your creation, just be logical and have a back up plan in case something goes wrong. Ive seen forums where people have been yelled at for having 3 clowns in a 29G, you can tell if your fish are healthy or not.

Back
Top Bottom