Stocking 35g hex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisyclover43

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've seen many posts on stocking tanks - so, okay, here is my post to add to it!!!! :p

You might have seen my posts in the HELP me section and know I had water problems (as most think it was due to the liquid reef plankton I introduced into the tank to feed my 2 flame scallops)... My water parameters are now back to normal after several PWC's (tank up and cycled and running for months now). My valentini puffer ATE my 2 shrimp (after I was told by the fish store that sold them to me that valentini's were peaceful and were the only puffer that could safely live with shrimp).... so I have left in my tank now: 1 small valentini puffer, 1 yellow headed sleeper goby (who makes my live sand pristine clean!!) and 2 flame scallops (which I understand will more than likely not live long either, because I didn't do my homework and read up on these before I purchased them.:() Anyway, I have a HOB filter (Aeon for a 55 gallon tank) an internal Fluval 4 filter and a powerhead at the bottom of the tank. Water flow is good --- I have about 3-4 inches of live sand and somewhere around 30 lbs. or so of live rock (one piece with toadstools on it). Now, what else can I safely add to the tank with the valentini puffer? I was told a "tang" but I thought tangs were for much bigger aquariums with lots of swimming room back/forth... I'm not into Wrasse fish at all - they're not my cup of tea, as they say..... I'm just kinda fish store leary now that I was sold a valentini puffer & 2 shrimp, and having them tell me that valentinis were so peaceful they would not eat the shrimp they also sold me, that I just don't know what fish to look for, and I'm afraid to take the fish store's advice...... I would like a swimming fish, obviously, to go with the 2 swimmers I now have in the tank. Oh, I also have a turbo snail (please, please tell me the valentini will not eat him too!!). Any advice on what 1 or 2 fish I can safely add with the valentini in this 35g hex? Guess it can't be a little fish, as I'm afraid the valentini will eat it too! I'm not looking for lionfish or eels, or anything of that nature. I'm also not really into damsels (maybe that limits me in what I can choose though)... Can I safely add a dwarf angel and leave it at 3 swimming fish in that tank? (plus the 2 flame scallops I have for the time being, and 1 turbo snail)? Not looking to add anything in a hurry either.... just trying to find something I CAN safely add to this tank, and then when I find it, can buy it.....

Thanks as always for any help or advice; it is much appreciated!

Karen

You could get a dwarf angel but you would be limited in corals that you could have. I guess from reading your post that you only hace a toadstool right now. Your LFS is not very informative if he told you that you could have shrimp with a puffer. Seek out another LFS.

Thank you for the advice... I am not planning on adding any corals or any other inverts - toadstool is it for me. And I agree - I need a new LFS - this guy sold me not only the valentini puffer but he also sold me 2 shrimp with it ---- saying that valentini's were the nicest of all puffers, they were not aggressive and I could actually put up to 5 shrimp in my tank with the puffer! Imagine how much LIVE food (shrimp) that puffer would have gotten!! :p

Have learned that NOW, after the fact. Unfortunately, I fall into the category that a lot of newbies fall into -- not doing my own research, cuz when I started reading about valentini puffers (after I purchased one), most all sources said they are aggressive with inverts, and one site said semi-aggressive and have to be watched. As you said, a puffer is a puffer, is a puffer (enough said)... Thanks again for your advice and help. I'm going to monitor this tank for awhile to make sure everything is still going well, water-wise and fish-wise, before I add anything else. I still have my 20g hex up and running (with nary a thing in it except for live rock and live sand), so I think I will do something small, simple and keep it a peaceful tank, and will put a couple shrimp in that tank!! :p

Karen

Back
Top Bottom