Stocking a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a 55g that just finished cycling. I have about 10-15 lbs of live rock and about 40 lbs of base rock in the tank. It has two sunsun canister filters (I know nitrate factories) rated at 265 gph each.

I'm starting to think about stock. I would like a clown or two but I hear I should add them last. I like flame angels and coral beauties, but I'm not sure they are the best choice with the clowns.

Any suggestions on stock? When should I start thinking about a cleanup crew?

This is my first sw setup. Thanks in advance.

What are your final plans for this tank? Eventual reef setup or fowlr and are the 2 canisters your only source of flow?

Possibly reef eventually but that will be a long way off. I would prefer to switch to a sump before then and I need much better lighting.

I want to get comfortable with fowlr before adding any coral.

Flame or coral beauty should both be fine with a clown or mated pair of clowns. Just pick one or the other, not a good idea to have two dwarf angels together.

My only advice would not be from experience just what I've read about. Sometimes flame angels are best added to the tank last. I wish I could tell you more but I love those fish and have looked into them a bunch

Thanks for the feedback. Will I be at stock with 2 clowns and a flame angel or do you have other stocking suggestions?

When should I consider cleaner crabs/snails?

Thanks.

Thanks. Those fish look very cool. I like the royal gramma. I will look into more info about them.

Royal Grammas, chalk bass, gobies, clowns, dart fish, dottybacks. These are just the nano fish that can be housed in a 55.

I just finished cycling my 55 and am switching over from my 36. I have a royal gramma, clown, blue damsel, and a yellow watchman in the 36. The gramma is the only one I am considering bringing over.

So, my livestock will look like this.
Royal Gramma
2 black/white clowns
Indigo Dottyback
Some goby/pistol shrimp combo

There will be more...just haven't found more perfect matches to go with my dottyback yet.

Wow, pistol shrimp look very cool. I had no idea they actually shot bubbles with their claw. Are they noisy? I might try a goby/shrimp combo.

I'd get the clown pair, and the flame angel should be your last fish added around the 6 month mark. They like to nip at the rocks and this allows your tank to grow some stuff for them and the param's to stabilize.

All the previous fish rec's are great.

I'd look into a flash wrasse as well. I think they have the best personalities. However make sure you have a mesh top with zero holes, or they will jump.

I'd steer clear of any other damsels besides the clowns, they are bullies!

im surprised the damsel hasnt killed your royal gramma.i had a yellow tail kill four in one day just from chasing them.royal grammas get stressed out very easy

cosmo said:
I'd get the clown pair, and the flame angel should be your last fish added around the 6 month mark. They like to nip at the rocks and this allows your tank to grow some stuff for them and the param's to stabilize.

All the previous fish rec's are great.

I'd look into a flash wrasse as well. I think they have the best personalities. However make sure you have a mesh top with zero holes, or they will jump.

I'd steer clear of any other damsels besides the clowns, they are bullies!

Thanks for the additional info. I was told by a friend to get the clowns last. So I'm trying to figure out what is best to add first. Sounds like I will add the clowns before the flame angel. I will look into the flash wrasse.

Well we decided on a coral beauty and a purple dottyback as the first fish. I'm thinking I will eventually add a couple of clowns and a wrasse. The carpenter flasher looks really cool.

Will I be at stock or overstocked?

Final list I've planned (so far) is:

1 purple dottyback.
1 coral beauty.
2 clowns.
1 reef safe wrasse. Probably a carpenter flasher.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom