Stocking Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am converting a 140 gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater tank. I have other saltwater tanks but this will be FOWLR. I am interested in tangs, butterfly's, rabbitfish, groupers, and triggerfish. Already have a sailfin tang that i amI going take out of my 75 gallon and put in it. Are they all compatible? And what would you suggest and how many? Also, I have a Fluval Fx5 running on he tank. Is that enough for a fish only tank?

dlsrks said:
I am converting a 140 gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater tank. I have other saltwater tanks but this will be FOWLR. I am interested in tangs, butterfly's, rabbitfish, groupers, and triggerfish. Already have a sailfin tang that i amI going take out of my 75 gallon and put in it. Are they all compatible? And what would you suggest and how many? Also, I have a Fluval Fx5 running on he tank. Is that enough for a fish only tank?

Imo butterflys are iffy, especially with the others mentioned. I had a powder brown tang, humu and niger trigger, and an emperor snapper ... All housed together and they were fine. As for numbers id really be careful because those are mainly predatory fish... So housing several of one will prob lead to problems. As for the fx5 filter, im sure it would do fine at first but once the fish reach adult size they will prob need more filtration

Thanks. Still thinking about what I want to put in and looking their mature sizes. May rethink the stocking plan. Lol.

If you can find a honeycomb grouper they max out at 12". Mine had been ~8" for a couple months and doesn't seem to be growing. Miniatus groupers don't get that much bigger.

Eels are pretty easy to keep and they are compatable with fish that dont fit in their mouth

Back
Top Bottom