Stocking for 46g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawkfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

I once again started back into this hobby about 11 months ago after not having any sw fish for about 20-25 years. Things have changed since then! I set-up tank and cycled with damsels and small amount of lr & arragonite last fall. The tank had two filter systems: Cascade 700 canister and a bio wheel.

Two months ago, I began to make changes to allow for stocking. I added a Cascade 1500 canister, and a Bak Pak skimmer, and took off the Bio wheel filter. I also started adding about 7lbs of lr every 2 weeks and will continue 'til I reach about 65 lbs (currently at about 28 lbs).
I took damsels back and started stocking with desired fish. Although the tank originally was set-up with conditioned tap water, I did a 50% pwc with r/o water before beginning with the new inhabitants. I also have been doing 10-15 gallon pwc every 2 weeks with RO water.

Using the rule of 1 inch per 5g, my original list was for about 5 fish. Many of the lfs said with the large amount of filtration I have, the main thing is compatibility issues and having fish that occupy different "swim space," and that with gradually adding more cured lr and the new filters & skimmer, there is enough surface area and bacteria to support alot more fish as long as water parameters are fine.

So...here's what I have (all under suggestions of lfs): 3 green chromis (1 inch each); 1 gs maroon clown (3 inches); 1 six-line wrasse (1 1/2 inches); 2 zebra (bar) gobies (each 3 inches); 1 long-nose hawkfish (3 inches); 1 blue hippo tang (3 inches); one yellow tang (4 inches), and 5 small hermits for clean-up.

After reading many postings here, it would appear that I am quite overstocked, and that tangs are NOT for this size tank. (Found this site AFTER the fact). Water conditions are 0 nirite, 0 ammonia, nitrates range from 5-20; ph 8.2. I have the salinity lowered to 1.019 since stocking to reduce parasites; also using garlic extreme with mysis and other foods, spirulina, etc. Everyone seems real happy, but I am worried about the advice I was given on stocking from the lfs after seeing some posts here. The good news is I will be setting up a 125 g in about 3-5 months...relief!

For now, how do I keep nitrates lower and everything going smooth? I am feeding 2 times daily now, but I see many of your members feed once daily, or even every other day. The lfs suggested a nitrate pad that is cut to fit inside filter chamber so I got that. It makes the water so clear it appears to not even have water in it and levels are coming down!

Sorry this is so long, but I would appreciate any other help and advice.

THANKS!

The largest reason your nitrates are so high is because of the amount of fish you have. You could try a larger protein skimmer and more water changes but you will always have a problem with nitrates unless the number of fish decreases.

What is the max amount of water you would change weekly in a 46g? And, do you think with these pwc's every week and the filtration, this number of fish would work?

hawkfish said:
What is the max amount of water you would change weekly in a 46g? And, do you think with these pwc's every week and the filtration, this number of fish would work?

In my opinion, even with the water changes and filtration I don't think you'll ever get down to 0 nitrates with that fish stock. Two of your fish need tanks twice the size of yours - blue tangs get a foot long and tangs are very very active swimmers and need a lot of room which a 46 gallon can't provide. You also may run into aggression issues because tangs and the maroon clown can be rather territorial while chromis are peaceful.

With them only being in there 2 months it's still very early to say whether or not they'll get along. Especially since the fish are pretty young, aggression issues escalate with age. I think once you get them all into a 125 things will get a lot better, as long as the fish list doesn't change a lot. You could also try a R/O system if you don't have one yet.

Back
Top Bottom