Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm currently getting ready to switch my 125 over to saltwater as well as preparing a 90 gallon that I also intend to have as saltwater and I intend for them both to be fowlr! Here's my plans for the two I just wanted to see what all of you thought before I get to deep into the builds

About 140 pounds of live rock with powerheads and hob filters and probably a hob skimmer with the following stock
Harlequin tusk
Purple tang
Blue face angel
2 clarki clowns
2 algae blennys
Possibly some chromis or anthias or instead a few blennys basslets and gobies and maybe a Copperband butterfly if I have the room!

90 I want this to be a predator tank and its already got a corner overflow setup on it so probably about 100 pounds of live rock between the tank and the sump I intend to run with a skimmer and this stock list
Snowflake eel
Atennata lion
Picasso trigger
Blue head wrasse
Blue spot puffer

What do you guys think? If the stock list seems heavy let me know and I will wed out some here and there! If I'm misstating something that offer of these fish needs let me know and I will be glad to change it up out remove them from the stock list! Let me hear from you thanks

Sounds good to me, but I'm new! Just trying to help get you some attention here so the pro's can chime in :cool:

Benamayer said:
Sounds good to me, but I'm new! Just trying to help get you some attention here so the pro's can chime in :cool:

Lol I appreciate it! I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of these species than me can share some insight!

Well if it's any help you can check out a compatibility chart to compare, and make sure they are all the same in terms of PH, temp, etc, and see what kind of flow they all enjoy as well. Unfortunately, there's so many opinions and research, sometimes it's just up to you to do the legwork and give it the old fashioned college try! There's plenty of charts available, and with a setup like that, it wouldn't hurt to stop into your LFS and pick their brain too... Good luck!

Benamayer said:
Well if it's any help you can check out a compatibility chart to compare, and make sure they are all the same in terms of PH, temp, etc, and see what kind of flow they all enjoy as well. Unfortunately, there's so many opinions and research, sometimes it's just up to you to do the legwork and give it the old fashioned college try! There's plenty of charts available, and with a setup like that, it wouldn't hurt to stop into your LFS and pick their brain too... Good luck!

Agreed i've already read that the angler is a no go with a puffer or trigger so I'm taking off of my stock list! I'm gonna be reading and picking brains like crazy since its probably going to be 3 months before I'm actually able to stock anyway!

I hear ya! Personally, puffers I'm not a huge fan of, just because they can emit toxins from their skin of stressed or die, and need pristine water conditions...

Benamayer said:
I hear ya! Personally, puffers I'm not a huge fan of, just because they can emit toxins from their skin of stressed or die, and need pristine water conditions...

True plus it might not be good with a trigger either so that something I need to think about changing!

I know that Lion Fish should not be housed with a wrasse. As for a snowflake eel they work with triggers and lions. You need to make sure that the trigger and lion are bigger than his mouth. Even with the other fish being bigger if he thinks it may fit he will try. I was told 3-4 inches would be a good choice. With an eel you need to make sure every possible way he can get out is escape proof. They will try to get out! Eels are extremely blind (at least mine is) feed the eels away from other fish so he doesn't accidentally bite another fish. Our eel will eat almost anything, but she will not eat the crabs or snails in her tank. Which is odd for an eel. My favorite...lion fish. We have a fuzzy dwarf lion fish. They are amazing! anything bigger than their mouth should be fine. They can be difficult to switched to prepared foods (Alice is still on live) they come to love their owners and show personality. Good luck!

I would try this, because it seems to work for me so far... I didn't come up with a list. I knew what I really wanted (pair of clowns), and just built from there. Put what you really want in the tank first, then see what you like fish by fish... No need to create your own destiny on a piece of paper from day one. That's one of the most fun parts of this hobby is the ever changing dynamic you can create! I hope this helps, I know I'm new to the salt water scene, but I haven't really had a bad time since I started! Good luck my friend!

Here's an example of our eel tank.

Attachments

• image-4202000074.jpg
    image-4202000074.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom