Storing live rock and sand till my tank is set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

000trick000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found a deal on live rock and sand from a tank that was being broke down and sold. I'm getting my rodi water filled as we speak and have my salt ready to mix. My only question is can I leave my sand in the 5 gal bucket or should I put it in the container that I will be storing my rock in? It will be in my basement with a circulating pump heater and light. I would think it would do better with the live rock. But what do I know this is my first tank. It will probably be this way for 3 months at the longest. Thanks aa!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can store the rock and sand in any container with a heater and pump. Though keep in mind that long term storage without an ammonia source will just let all the bacteria die off...
That being said, why are you using old sand? That stuff is a nitrate trap when reused as all kinds of uneaten food and poop builds up in our systems over time.

You can store the rock and sand in any container with a heater and pump. Though keep in mind that long term storage without an ammonia source will just let all the bacteria die off...
That being said, why are you using old sand? That stuff is a nitrate trap when reused as all kinds of uneaten food and poop builds up in our systems over time.

YES!
I made that mistake of using sand from another set-up.....ended up having to completely redo the substrate.

Keep the rock alive, maybe toss a damsel in the container to keep it "alive" and get new sand when it's time to set-up.

and sand kept in a bucket will quickly go nasty in the bottom half.
keep in mind that even with "live" rock and sand, you will still need to properly cycle your set-up so keeping the "live" sand presents more negatives than positives.

So you think I should rinse it out a few times and dry it out to clean it up and salvage it or just throw it out

Throw it out, sand is pretty much the cheapest part of setting up a tank.

Ok it's gone, now as far as temp for the rock, just keep it normal, around 80

Also didn't really want a damsel in my tank when I'm ready for the rock, is there any other option on keeping the ammonia source up? Fish food? Also should I look into a cuc? The dude said that there is probably some snails on the rock.

Ok so I got my rock(75 lbs), not all pieces are live, there is 1 larger piece that is pretty much all white and 1 smaller piece all white the rest are covered with green, pink, purple algea on top. But the bottoms are white, is this normal? What do I need to do to keep the ammonia coming into the tank. Keep in mind it is not in my tank I just have it in a barrel until my tank is fully set up. Also remember I'm a noob lol :)

That is normal. You could give it some pure ammonia or just use a cocktail shrimp...which I find to be the easiest to keep the ammonia going until you are ready.

Cool, thanks. I've been doing a lot of research, Mabey too much, my brain seems like it's turning to mush. Just super excited :) really happy with the rock that I got.

Oh , I only saw 1 snail on the rocks, should I look into a cuc or just wait till my tank is done?

Back
Top Bottom