Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that it is recommended to have a sump on SW tank but is it necessary? and if so what is the minimum tank size where it is absolutely necessary to have one?

It's not necessary but the benefits are well worth it. Extra water volume, refugiums, a place to put equipment so it's not crowding your DT. They are completely customizable to anything you could want to do or put in it. I'd have one as big as I could fit under my stand.

I've talked to people on here who wanted to make mini 5 gallon sumps. I think if you were going to do one make it as big as possible but at least 25% of your DT size if you wanted a number. But that's only my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a canister and HOB protein skimmer not to mention heater in the tank. In my situation a sump is not an option but really wish I could have one. Looking into another setup in the future there is no other choice than having a sump.

Can you do it without? Sure can.
Is it the best option. Absolutely!!

I have a canister and HOB protein skimmer not to mention heater in the tank. In my situation a sump is not an option but really wish I could have one. Looking into another setup in the future there is no other choice than having a sump.

Can you do it without? Sure can.
Is it the best option. Absolutely!!

I was looking into a canister. I think that might be my best option

I was looking into a canister. I think that might be my best option

This could be like a ford vs. Chevy discussion. I have eheim's on my freshwater and a fluval on saltwater and both do what they are supposed to. Many others out there including Sun-Sun that might be a less expensive option. I did find that the fluval with media baskets is easier to service than the eheim's 2215 that do not have baskets

My water is crystal clear with both brands. Much depends on tank size and your bio load.

This could be like a ford vs. Chevy discussion. I have eheim's on my freshwater and a fluval on saltwater and both do what they are supposed to. Many others out there including Sun-Sun that might be a less expensive option. I did find that the fluval with media baskets is easier to service than the eheim's 2215 that do not have baskets

My water is crystal clear with both brands. Much depends on tank size and your bio load.

I think I'm going to try running a sump with a wet dry system

The answer is the biggest you can have. The more water added to the system helps dilute any possible issues. Along with that, it gives you room to add any equipment to your system without it being in the display tank...skimmer, algae turf scrubber, reactors, heater...you get the idea.

The answer is the biggest you can have. The more water added to the system helps dilute any possible issues. Along with that, it gives you room to add any equipment to your system without it being in the display tank...skimmer, algae turf scrubber, reactors, heater...you get the idea.

Yea it sounds like it is extremely beneficial. What compartment of the sump do you recommend putting equipment such as that in?

Always the first section. This helps equipment remove as much gunk as humanly possible before travelling forward into the second...the 'refugium' section. Though I have personally ditched this concept for an algae turf scrubber to do the same thing. But an important part is that the water level in this section will not fluctuate.

Alright great because I was worried about water levels fluctuating and wasn't sure how to deal with that

When I was considering ATO I was looking at the JBJ or the TUNZE osmolator.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom