sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bald57

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. I am wanting to build a sump. I have looked and looked but cant find any plans on the internet. I intend to build it out of a 10gal glass tank but don;t have a clue as to how to go about it. I will probably use acrylic as the dividers. Any measurments or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

Hi all. I am wanting to build a sump. I have looked and looked but cant find any plans on the internet. I intend to build it out of a 10gal glass tank but don;t have a clue as to how to go about it. I will probably use acrylic as the dividers. Any measurments or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

There are videos on YouTube. Some good ones.
And I could be wrong but I'm not sure if you can use acrylic inserts on a glass tank. I think they have to be glass baffles.

Something like this. You can use cardboard to do a rough sketch. Then take those measured pieces to you local glass or plastic store and they'll cut to size. Do you have a Taps plastic near you? They're awesom!
image-98148439.jpg

dont have a taps store but do have a local glass shop. How much space between the baffles? It looks like about an inch from what I see.

You can use acrylic for the baffles. Our local Lowes cuts it to size for free. Placement depends a lot on what you want in your sump. For the bubble trap I used 2 standard sized CD casesfor separation and 3 cases for the height from the bottom of the center baffle. You also need to know what equipment you want in the sump such as the heater(s), grounding probe, temperature probe, dosing pumps, etc. Here is an idea I had for when I re-do mine. One thing you MUST keep in mind: Use GE Type 1 100% silicone or equivalent when you seal in the panels. Do not use anything with mildew inhibitors, colors, or any other additive. they are usually poisonous to your fish.

Attachments

• Sump2.JPG
    Sump2.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 89
If you are using a glass tank, I would use glass for the partitions. It's not expensive and won't bow. In order to figure out what space you need, you'll need to figure out what you are putting in it. If you are thinking of a protein skimmer, I would find a skimmer, and then build the sump to accommodate it. The same goes for everything else you want in the sump.

Back
Top Bottom