Sump or no sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sump or no sump?

• Protein skimmer, sump, and live rock

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Protein skimmer and live rock

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (please specify in a post)

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Feather&Rocket

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! Just digging for advice on a 55 gallon FOWLR tank we're starting soon. Here is the debate: protein skimmer and live rock with a sump, or protein skimmer and live rock, only? Obviously, the skimmer would go inside the sump, but we were wondering if the sump would be necessary for just a 55 gallon tank. Just curious because it was a recommendation from an LFS, and it was the first time we had heard of the combination for a (somewhat) smaller tank. And we'll have two powerheads, by the way.

Any advice is appreciated. First post, too. We've just been reading a lot on our own and taking bits of advice off of here. Sorry if this is a repost! Thank you! We're loving AA so far!

-Feather & Rocket (it will be either one or both of us posting on this account)

P.S.--Thanks for voting in the poll! I (Feather) am an ex-mod and member on another vB forum and am showing Rocket the ropes. :)

Last edited:
I would add the sump as it gives you more water volume which will help with the stability of water parameters. If you do not have the tank yet and are just planning, go for a 75g seeing as it has almost the same dimensions of a 55g but has more front to back room which makes for easier scaping of the rock. Make sure the dimensions of the skimmer will fit inside the sump and under the stand. Also, make sure you are buying a good skimmer and not a crap one like the SeaClone or one of the Coralife Super Skimmers (CSS). HTH.

Welcome to AA!

I'm only voting "other" because it really depends on a lot of things which way you go... and most have to do with what YOU think, and not us!

You don't *need* a sump on any setup. They definitely add more water volume, which is a good thing. But they do add an additional level of complexity that allows for things to go wrong.

If you want the simplest setup... no sump.
If you don't want to see heaters or skimmer intake/outlets in your main display tank... sump.
If you don't have room under the tank... no sump.
If you don't have room behind the tank for hang-on-back equipment and you want a skimmer and maybe something to run chemical media in... sump.

You get the idea - it really depends a lot on what you guys decide. I've got a 46g reef setup with no sump, but an oversized skimmer. I've never wished I had a sump. If I had a bigger tank though, with more room around and under the tank, I would probably go with a sump to hide my heaters in and allow me to hide away some continuous monitoring equipment.

Skimmer to take DOC`s out. Sump for added water volume and LR for good biological filtration.

I have a 75g with LR and a skimmer. It's almost 2 months old now. My tank wasn't drilled and now I wished I would have waited and gotten a pre-drilled tank so I could have a sump.

Since I'm new to salt water I didn't realize the importance of it as far as the look of the tank. I hate all the equipment in my tank! It takes up so much room and doesn't look good to me. My next tank will have a sump for sure;)

It`s not too late Lucy. A HOB overflow will help get all the rest of the equipment off the back.

I still may do that. I'm still kicking around the idea of getting a 120g (drilled) and making my 75g a freshwater tank.

Maybe Santa will surprise me!:D

... My tank wasn't drilled and now I wished I would have waited and gotten a pre-drilled tank so I could have a sump.

As melosu mentioned... a hang-on-back overflow works just fine.

Since I'm new to salt water I didn't realize the importance of it as far as the look of the tank. I hate all the equipment in my tank! It takes up so much room and doesn't look good to me.

You can also rearrange your rockwork to allow for "hiding spots" for the equipment. If you've gone with the "pile it all against the back glass" arrangement, you can't do that. But if you arrange it in the middle of your tank, with a couple areas that stick higher than the others, you can hide a LOT of stuff behind the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom