Sump set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve190

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for opinions on the best way to configure this sump. It's going under a 125 gal tank. Also what type of media would you put in the canisters. The two long filter socks is a divided compartment.

image-1007584635.jpg

image-2820689943.jpg

Ok would you run filter socks, bio balls or a combo of both.

Theres advantages and disadvantages to them both. I personally run filter socks (felt socks, not mesh) because they catch a ton of junk and are easy to clean. I do have to clean them every 4-5 days though, so some see that as a pain. Bioballs offer a ton of surface area for bb to grow on, however they have been known to cause nitrate build ups. Also they take up a good bit of space, space that could be better utilized by live rock rubble.

Personally, I don't use filter socks. They have to be cleaned frequently, otherwise any poop caught can becomes nitrate. But in my system changing the filter socks is a HUGE PITA. You top photo makes it look like a breeze, so I'd probably go that route with the socks. I agree with the idea of rock rubble and cheato for nitrate export.

Think ill go with the filter socks and put some rock under them. Not sure if there will be room for Cheto the skimmer is going in the open space, hope it fits under the stand.

Back
Top Bottom