Sump Sizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am concerned that the custom sump that I plan to build will be too small for my soon to be 55g FOWLR tank. I planned on using a 10 gal aquarium ( 20 g will be too big for my cabinet) and glueing in three plexiglass partitions (baffles) in there. I know that bigger is better in this case but wil 10 gallons suffice?

If you can fit the items you want to put in your sump in a 10 gal tank then ya it will be fine.

Are you planning on putting your skimmer and heater down there? If so you will also need room for your return pump.

Something else you might want to look at is those clear rubermaid tubs.

Maybe a 20 long vs a 20 high?

I like a large sump simply cause i can put more water into the system that way.

ya know this rubbermaid idea may not me such a bad idea for a interim solution. I can then spend more time designing the appropriate sump with refugium and LS. But to answer your question yes the PS and return pump would be in the sump itself.

Is the need to remove the bubbles prior to the return pump for the benefit of the pump ( since I know bubbles in a pump make it less efficient) or is it for the benefit of the fish?

well bubbles in the pump end up causing macro bubbles in the tank. These bubbles can be irratating to the fish and other creatures plus are not overly attractive to look at.

Back
Top Bottom