Sump, skimmer, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

For my upcoming 100gal FOWLR tank, I'm thinking I'm gonna make a DIY sump out of my old 55gallon that is just sitting around. I think it'll be good for helping to stabilize my water conditions (as more is better, yes?) and I've got nothing better to do with it. ;) I know I saw a formula for how powrful the powerhead had to be to pump a certain height (head height, I think it's called) and I was wondering if anyone knew what that formula was?

I have a Berlin XL venturi-style protein skimmer that will go in the sump. Any comments on this skimmer/set-up?

Also, I cannot find Yardright/OldCastle/Southdown at any of my local Home Depot's or Lowes' stores. I'm about to go on a trip down south anyway, so I will be checking Home Depots as I head southward. I don't know why I told you all that, but I guess I just think it's funny that I have to go a region south for sand. :p

Also, I cannot find Yardright/OldCastle/Southdown at any of my local Home Depot's or Lowes' stores. I'm about to go on a trip down south anyway, so I will be checking Home Depots as I head southward. I don't know why I told you all that, but I guess I just think it's funny that I have to go a region south for sand.
Try going east...It is found regularly in NJ and NY...

For my upcoming 100gal FOWLR tank, I'm thinking I'm gonna make a DIY sump out of my old 55gallon that is just sitting around. I think it'll be good for helping to stabilize my water conditions (as more is better, yes?) and I've got nothing better to do with it.

Yuppers

I know I saw a formula for how powrful the powerhead had to be to pump a certain height (head height, I think it's called) and I was wondering if anyone knew what that formula was?

Depends on the brand of pump, most online sites will have a chart as to many GPH the pump is do at a certain height. As for how big to get, well that depends on the overflow GPH rating. IMHO on my 125gal, I have a 800 GPH overflow and a pump that can pump 1200 GPH (this is reduced because it is pumping 6ft).

I have a Berlin XL venturi-style protein skimmer that will go in the sump. Any comments on this skimmer/set-up?

Skimmer wise I think you will be happy with it. It's a good skimmer.

What size pump do you have for the skimmer? I'm using one with a Mag 5. I would go with a Mag 7 or even a 9.5 if I had it to do over again. The Berlin is a great skimmer and will do you a good job. Are you going to have the 55 drilled for an external pump? If not, I'd go with a Magdrive pump for the return also. They are good pumps and cheap to repair. Stay away from the Rios...they tend not to restart sometimes. For a general idea of head pressure, measure the distance straight up that the pump will have to pump the water and add 1' to it for every 90* elbow that you put in the line...that'll get you pretty close.

Cool

First off, thanks mulron, and loganj. But of course, I have more questions. :p I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.

If I'm making my own overflow (syphon-style, w/ PVC piping) how on earth will I know how many gph the overlfow is? If the magdrive 7 powering the skimmer is ~700gph, then I assume I want an overflow that is at least 700gph, but not much more. Which means the pump that pumps water out of the sump needs to be around 700gph after I factor in height, right? I'm not really sure, so I have to ask. =] Thanks again!

I would model my overflow after something that is already rated. You can assume that it would be close to that. Something 10" wide with a 1" bulkhead outflow would yield 800gph.

Which means the pump that pumps water out of the sump needs to be around 700gph after I factor in height, right?
Yuppers

Back
Top Bottom