Supplies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhishPhreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. I have started looking online for supplies at PetSmart. (We get up there quite often.)

I can get a 55 gallon aquarium (used) in our local trader paper for dirt cheap. (We would inspect it thoroughly first.) I most likely will not get a 55 however. I am thinking in the 30 and up range. It will most likely be a FOWLR. Possibly FO. Anywhos...

I have deduced that I will need a PH. Here is the one I was looking at:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1089095899789 How many should I have?

I will obviously need a heater. Here is what I was thinking:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1089093808637

I will also need a protein skimmer. I was thinking about this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1089094442097

This is about as far as I got. From here I need help.

I want a sump for my tank. This is where I would have the protein skimmer, heater, ect. How would I set up one of these if my tank isn't pre drilled? What will I need? I do know I would need a return pump. Any suggestions? If I have a sump, will I need a filter? If so, what kind? Can I get pre-made sump parts? If so, where?

I also am not sure about lighting. Is there some sort of "all in one" fluorescent? (I may keep an anemone or two. At a later date though.)

Is there anything I missed? (Other than salt and water?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: What is "base rock"? Is it necessary?

Just a quick note, around here petsmart matches their online prices, and online prices of most anyone. Might save a buck or two. :mrgreen:

I've heard a lot of negative comments about SeaClones. I went with a Prizm. Granted, its under-powered, but easy to use and it something that'll get me started while I save up for a hardcore skimmer.

as for the PH, that brand is pretty solid. I ended up going with Maxi-Jet's though. You'll want at least two of them (one at each end), and a total gph of at least 550 between them (10 x per hour is the minimum you want, espeically for a reef system).

AS for sumps...I know you don't need a drilled tank to pull it off...it just may not be as neat looking. There are some 'hang on tank' sumps out there, which basically add 4 more inches to the back of your tank, and can house skimmers, heaters, etc.

The PH is a good one. I have a pair of the 802's in my 75 attached to a homebuilt wavemaker.

What wattage of a heater where you looking at?

For the skimmer I would suggest looking at the Remora C. The seaclone has a bad rep for being inefficent and the prizms have been known to be loud. The remora will work great for that size tank.

If your tanks not drilled then you will need a hang on back overflow. They come in multiple styles. I like the "U" tube overflows and a standard single U tube overflow will work for upto 600GPH flow thru it. I am a big fan of having alot of current in the tank so if I was setting up the 55 I would probably get two of those 402 powerheads and then also have a Mag 7 pump in my sump. The Mag7 will probably give you upto 400GPH from say 3 or 4'.

The overflow would have a drain line that drains water down to your supm below the tank. The return pump would then pump the water backup thru return plumbing into the main tank. The sump could be as simple as a 20 gal tank or a good sized rubbermaid tub. Fill the sump only about 1/2 way and then you can run tests by unplugging the pump to make sure you dont overflow the sump.

I had a SeaClone and thought it a poor product. I switched with to CPR Backpacks and like them.

jddias67 said:
I had a SeaClone and thought it a poor product. I switched with to CPR Backpacks and like them.
The way I see it, the SeaClones are like Unix, the Backpacks/Prizms are like Windows, and the Remoras are like MacOS X. That may or may not explain anything to you :wink:

Atari,

I understand the analogy, and find it amusing, because when I decide I've outgrown my prizm, I was probably gonna go with a cpr bak-pak ;)

The only unix commands I know are super basic...and while I agree OS X is better than any previous macOS, I'm a Windows boy, since 3.11 for workgroups

I'm a Windows boy, since 3.11 for workgroups

I fought windows 95, 98, me (boy was that ever a mistake), and xp. But to be honest XP seems to be the smoothest running os ole buddy gates has come up with to date. I heard rumors of a new one but haven't seen it. :roll:

haha i like your thinking atari =)

phishphreak, id take the money you were going to invest in a sump and buy live rock with it. I have also heard many bad things about prism and suggest bakpak or aqua c remora. Also get some sand for the substrate. May want to get 2 powerheads if you go with the 50 gallon. As far as lighting im a fan of power compacts because of their ease. Where are you in Indiana? I live a few miles south of indy and there are quite a few good stores around here for saltwater. I wouldnt suggest buying any livestock from pet smart.

Back
Top Bottom