SW FINALLY getting started...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know! And my local LFS called with a new shipment of discus...
So....
I picked up 5 juries for my grow out tank! Lol
DOUBLE Xmas!!
Carey....40 gallon rubbermaid garbage can on wheels...this is my saltwater mixing idea...good one?

As long as its a heavy duty can so it doesn't bow out from the water weight you're good. I got a brute. No wheels but it is double thickness.

It's a good half inch thick? First batch will be mixed In the tank, while empty...
From there, only need 5-10 gallons at a time?

"dry run" so to speak...
Surprising that or little pump can do so much...

Attachments

• image-3785108204.jpg
    image-3785108204.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 101
Sooooo glad I was smart and got the wireless version, cos now I can just compound them later on when I need to. I will get another when I start corals for their tidal and reef crest modes.
Looks awesome!!

36" T5 Lighting HO Aquarium Light Hood Cichlid Saltwater 156W LED Lunar 3 ft. | eBay
Thoughts on this fixture? Reef capable? Would an anemone do well under this when my system matures and is stable in the future?

Or this one? 36" Aquarium T5 HO Light 39W x4 LED Reef Fish Tank CE | eBay

I had a nem under those lights in my first 29g sw tank. he did ok, nothing too stellar. I ended up returning the nem so I don't know how he would have done in the end.

I do know I kept alot of corals under my odyssea fixture adn they all did very very well. At one point I managed to bleach a brain coral on the sandbed. So the power is there. BUT they arent made of the highest quality materials and it does show. But they work ok. If I needed a fixture again I 'might" out them on the list.

Have you tried fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

They have similar entry level fixtures that are a bit bette4r built with better reviews. Only thing is no moonlights. :-(

I would go with an even split as far as white and blue. 2 of each is standard protocol. :)

The fish need it light is better quality and has better reviews. Plus the mounts are much better. Thats the one thing that stunk on the odyssea, the mounts.

Hmmm, would it be safe to paint that aluminum black?
Also....would a 6 bulb fixture just be complete overkill?

Last edited:
Got me on that question, I'm curious as well as I might wanna make some formations soon. :)

Theres been talk of aquarium safe silicone and the putty's.

If youre going fish only then 6 bulbs would be overkill in my opinion. You can get away with a strip light with fish only. ;-)

It WILL be reef. Just a slow start ;)
I am digging my little "ayatollah" layout here, and want to secure it...
Silicon obv won't work... What does anyone think about epoxy? Like coral glue...

Attachments

• image-2865481184.jpg
    image-2865481184.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 102
Bought that to help secure rock work. It's still soaking. How is the scaping looking? Live rock from an LFS will fill it out. An additional 10 lbs or so...

Attachments

• image-296230322.jpg
    image-296230322.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-256746554.jpg
    image-256746554.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom