Switching from canisters to a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I am fairly new to sw. I've been running a 55 tank with canisters for about a month. I know everybody recommends sumps. I assume I should run it along side my canisters for at least a month to give the bb time to catch up.

I am getting a 15 tall tank (only thing that fits in my 11 inch stand).

Should I try to setup a refrigrum or just put live rock or something in it? Anything else I should have in the sump? I have a hot skimmer that I will try to move to the sump.

Anything to worry about with hob overflows? A flood would be bad.

I'm a total newb to sumps so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hob overflows are just as good as normal ones. I have one in my 20 hooked up to my 150 and it works like a charm. I would slit the sump into 3 sections. First with a filter sock and skimmer. Second Refugio's with cauldron or chaeto. Third return. Or 2 without the refugium. GL!!!!!!

Just wondering, what is a hob overflow? How is it different from a normal one. I currently use PVC pipe overflow system and want to switch to overflow box. Thx

Hob overflows hang on the back of the tank, while normal overflows are siliconed in also known as "reef ready".

Picked up a used CPR cs100 and a mag 9.5 return pump. Just waiting on the tank which is on order.

I'm going to pick up some acrylic and epdm rubber to make baffles. I want a refugium area.

Back
Top Bottom