Switching to a sump from a canister.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denwhite16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wanting to look into switching my 75 FOWLR from a Fluval 405 Canister, to some sort of sump. I've only looked into it by exploring the forums on here. I don't really want to drill my tank, so I know I'd need some sort of HOB overflow. I have no sort of plan and was just trying to see if I could get some good advice before I started really getting into it and buying the wrong stuff. Any and all advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

This is pretty easy. I love CPR's overflows. They have a nipple on top that you can attach an aqua lifter pump to so make sure no bubbles form in the "U" and loose the siphon. Siphon loss can lead to overflowing issues.
But, you'll want to get a return pump rated higher gph than the overflow then put a ball valve after the return pump so you can then restrict the flow coming into the tank from there until it matches up with the overflow.
The rest is simple PVC or flex tubing plumbing...with PVC being the best of the two in my experience.

Ok. Does the PVC get glued together? I've used PVC cement in normal plumbing applications but wasn't sure if it's harmful to fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is exactly what you do. Just make sure it dries before starting the system up. I wait about a day before starting things up and haven't seen any issues. I've even done this on my established reef tank. This covers both the PVC cement and the 'softener' which name is currently escaping me.

Now as far as the sump itself, I've heard all kinds of things people have; skimmer, refugium, live rock, bio balls, etc.

Do I need to plan for all of this, or is there something specific I should do since I don't have coral?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are many types of ways to export nutrients.
A refugium uses algae to grow in this area to export them rather than in the display.
A protein skimmer pulls food and poop out of the water column before it can decay into the nitrate cycle.
Live rock and bio balls would only be needed if you don't have the 1 lbs of rock and sand in the display tank as this is where the bacteria will grow when you cycle your tank.
Others use algae turf scrubbers to lower nitrates. Similar to a refugium, but pumps water across a screen for the algae to grow on.

Back
Top Bottom