T5 lighting - pros/cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking into getting a 90g sw setup, upgrading from the 37g that I have now. I can't seem to find any definitive information on T5 lighting, pros/cons. What I can gather so far is that MH may be the best choice, but they generate a lot of heat. I may have a problem placing an MH in the canopy that I'm thinking of purchasing. T5 lights I've read are the "up and coming" light source for sw aquariums, but let's say I had a choice between VHO, PC, MH or T5 are there any sites with a good comparison of the pros/cons of these sources? I have seen some T5 options on eBay that look pretty good, comparing just wattage to $.

Oh btw I now have a FOWLR, but in my new tank I will be adding anemones and some coral - probabably not sps. So I'm thinking my lighting requirements won't be that great...maybe 260-360W total.

Well I am doing both. I have three 400W MH's on my 180 that come on for 6 hours a day and the rest of the 12 hour photo period is ligthed by t-5's. They look really nice and all my macro and coralline has responded very well to this new setup. before i just ran my MH's all 12 hours but as you mentioned they heated too much. now my swing is just from 78-80 throughout the day.

dustybrannum said:
Well I am doing both. I have three 400W MH's on my 180 that come on for 6 hours a day and the rest of the 12 hour photo period is ligthed by t-5's. They look really nice and all my macro and coralline has responded very well to this new setup. before i just ran my MH's all 12 hours but as you mentioned they heated too much. now my swing is just from 78-80 throughout the day.

Interesting...I'm wondering if I don't need to deal with sps coral, are there any drawbacks to a t5-only light source? Are MHs primarily for corals that require absolutely more intense light to grow? Or do t5s provide little benefit (long-term cost, heat, etc.) over PCs or even VHOs?

Maybe I should investigate a light that has both mh and t5s, but even in that case what does t5 give you that pcs, vhos don't? I have read that they are more intense lighting than pcs and vhos...closer to the intensity of mh.

i have 6x54w tek light system from reefgeek.com. that is 3.6w/gal. some one on another forum uses 2.8w/gal in a 55 gal and has successfully kept and had great growth for almost a year lps, sps, and clams.

katz said:
i have 6x54w tek light system from reefgeek.com. that is 3.6w/gal. some one on another forum uses 2.8w/gal in a 55 gal and has successfully kept and had great growth for almost a year lps, sps, and clams.

The Tek system is one I've been thinking about. There is also a seller on eBay who has a similar configuration, 6x54w T5s for $260.

From what I have gathered so far on T5 ligthing, you don't need nearly the amount of watts per gallon as you would with say MH, PC, or VHO.

I have read many sucess stories of people keeping SPS and Clams with less that 3 wpg of T5 ligthing... which is amazing considering you'd need more than double that with PC's for Clams to be successful.

I am thinking about making the switch (from PC to T5) once I get a canopy for my tank.

ASpec said:
From what I have gathered so far on T5 ligthing, you don't need nearly the amount of watts per gallon as you would with say MH, PC, or VHO.

I have read many sucess stories of people keeping SPS and Clams with less that 3 wpg of T5 ligthing... which is amazing considering you'd need more than double that with PC's for Clams to be successful.

I am thinking about making the switch (from PC to T5) once I get a canopy for my tank.

Yes I have read that in some places as well... I'm heavily leaning towards T5 at this point vs. PC or VHO.

i would recommend the tek light system mainly due to the parabolic reflectors it comes with. this is the most important feature of the tek light system. pretty much 100% of the light is reflected back into the tank which is why you can get away with less than 3w/gal (although i am not condoning it). i also have a 90gal tank which is done cycling so i am slowly increasing light time. just be careful because some t-5 light systems on ebay are selling for much cheaper prices because they don't come with parabolic reflector's. in the end, you get what you pay for!!!

Back
Top Bottom