Tang Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Tang 2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anybody owned a tricolour tang before?Or do you have info about them?Can you buy them off the internet?Her are some pictures

Attachments

• 71784021_sIh5r6Bw.jpg
    71784021_sIh5r6Bw.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 245
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 235
Never heard of it. That almost looks like an ancanthurus species tang, but hard to tell with that pic. Do you have a better, more scientific name for it?

Never heard of it. That almost looks like an ancanthurus species tang, but hard to tell with that pic. Do you have a better, more scientific name for it?
Yes they call it a zebrasoma scopas they said it gets 8 inches

Yes they call it a zebrasoma scopas they said it gets 8 inches
If you go to ultarmarinemaganize.com go down a bit and on the right is a picture of 1 it is orange.Then i went to another sight and 1 guy had 1 in his tank so i guess they are real, not fake .Here is the picture of the guy who had 1 .On the picture the Tricolour tang is the 1 on the bottom

Attachments

• Tricolour&Achilles.jpg
    Tricolour&Achilles.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 128
Scopas tangs are quite common, and very similar to a yellow tang. They are in the same zebrasoma family. The tricolor is probably just a color aberrant, which you see available occasionally.

Here is my scopas tang so you can see what a scopas tang looks like.

100_1066.JPG

Yes, the "tri-color" your talking about was probably just a scopas with a little bit more bright color scheme. Its like liveaquaria used to see yellow teardrop clownfish. but after a year or so they just turn orange again. Each fish has different colorations, so your going to have some anomilies sometimes.

I`m not saying that as I really have never seen that type you are refering to. This one I have and the link that RYshark had (sorry ryshark I didnt see the link) are definitely scopas tangs. You said it was a zebrasoma scopas and that`s what this is. I think Larry was saying it might be some color variant. Not to speak for Larry though.

A hybrid is the result of 2 different species mating and producing offspring. If this fish is a z.scopas, it is not hybrid, it is a color aberrant.

Im not saying its one or the other, i thought it was a scopas with my first post. I just reiterated what the people in that thread came to conclude. Either way..i think its a pretty ugly fish. :D

Back
Top Bottom