Tang vs Foxface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gollum777

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tried moving alot of rocks around in my tank to avoid my Yellow Tang from knifing my Foxface.Even tried keeping him away from him with some tongs. I had to put a piece of plexiglass in the tank to protect the Foxface.I thought being venomous he could hold his own.Has anyone out there had a problem with a gangster Tang??

I have a yellow tang living peacefully with a fox face! I'm surprised that a tang would attack a fox-face, they are known to live with predatory fish like triggers and lions due to there venomous defence mechanism

I have a Coral Beauty ,3Clowns and 4 Damsels in the tank and he never harasses any of them.Im hoping my Foxface survives the night,I turned all the lights off in the room to help him recuperate.

ive also got a yell0ow tang and foxface..... they live in peace together. but they have grown up with each other for about 5 years now.

is the foxface new? and how big of a tank do you have?

yellow tangs can be really aggressive to newcomers.... especially
to fish that are the same color or same shape

butttttt..... with my yellow tang.... the moment I put a new fish in the tank it's like prison rules and the new one gets bashed for a solid few days/weeks then when it learns it's place they are all best of friends lol

Thats funny alco1.....hope that happens in my case,just paid 37 bucks for that fish!!

Oh yea,the Foxface is new and my tank is 125 gallons with plenty of places to hide.

lol 37??? that's soooo cheap.... here in Australia the average price for foxface at my LFS is about 50-70 lol

yea if that yellow tang is brutally beating on the foxface non stop, you could try putting a mirror or a picture of a yellow tang on the side of the glass and give the yellow tang another challenge and hopefully it'll stop attacking the foxface

foxfaces don't really attack others that much.... they really just cop the beating and only use their spikes if a fish is going to eat them

I paid $40 in Canada, still your going to love him and when acclimated he will be
One of your Favorite:)

Man!Im not going to complain about fish prices again! You guys have the awesome Great Barrier Reef,I thought fish there would be dirt cheap! Thanx for the awesome tips ......

another last resort option.... don't know if this will work or not... its pretty brutal.

I had a niga trigger and it consistently kept brutally attacking my lipstick tang... I even put my hand in the water to woosh it away and the trigger just went around my hand and kept attacking the tang.... so I just netted the trigger and took him out the water and held him out for a solid 20 secs or so them put him back in....

he never bothered the tang again.... lol

My Yellow Tang is greased lightning...Im afraid Ill run into my Volitan Lionfish trying to net him...lol I cut out a pic of a yellow tang from one of my aquarium magazines...In the morning Ill tape it to the tank and hope he will chill out.....my Fox looks like hes more relaxed now,I hope he dont croak on me.Hes such an awesome looking chap...

When I add any new fish I start by feeding the fish in the DT. Turn off the lights and add the new fish with the lights out. In the morning the ambient light in the room gives the new fish time to find it's way around the new tank. And the resident Moore time to adjust to the new fish. With FW fish you can change the landscape to lower aggression. SW fish you'll need to pull one of the fish for two weeks as them have longer memory's.

alco 1 is using "net the bully" routine. This works only when you can net the bully.

My Tangs are always challenging my foxface and each other but with no or minor damage.

Good luck!

Finally ,theres peace in the tank.The Foxface swims in front of the tank and the Yellow Tang takes the back.I chased the Tang around the tank with my long tongs everytime he started chasing the Foxface for about 30 minutes. When he starts chasing the foxface he sees me with the tongs and backs off.He chuckled and looked at the pic of the Tang I taped to the tank,and kept chasing the Foxface.So the fish centerfold didnt work.He even started coming,at the tongs at first wanting to do battle with it.The Foxface isnt looking that stressed out anymore which makes me a happy camper.Thanks for all the great advice!! Feliz Navidad

Back
Top Bottom