Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sloanhaus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am considering purchasing the following tangs and putting them in a 75 gallon quarantine tank for 4 weeks. I plan to run a hypo salinity two week period to kill any Ich. My question is if I will have any luck with these tangs. They are all from a different genus. Thanks

Red Sea Purple Tang
Zebrasoma xanthurus

Juvenile Chevron Tang
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis

Blonde Naso Tang
Naso elegans

Red Sea Sohol Tang
Acanthurus sohal

In all honesty every one of those tangs needs a bigger tank. At least a 6' tank. Please do not add 4 tangs to your tank... Its just not big enough. If you really want a tang you can probably have 1, but it should be some sort of bristletooth tang, they stay smaller! Please take this advice!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
In all honesty every one of those tangs needs a bigger tank. At least a 6' tank. Please do not add 4 tangs to your tank... Its just not big enough. If you really want a tang you can probably have 1, but it should be some sort of bristletooth tang, they stay smaller! Please take this advice!

It's a 75 QT so they aren't permanent and I'd imagine if you got that size QT then your DT is probably big ;) ... With enough hides though and well kept water I don't see it being a major issue temporarily.

Are you getting juveniles or adults? Adults may be a different story...

Well that's what I was wondering, should I get all juveniles or mix it up with some bigger and smaller

I would get them all as small as you can without having issues when you add them to the display to try and avoid any territorial behavior from them since tangs generally school when they are young.

Mrc8858 said:
It's a 75 QT so they aren't permanent and I'd imagine if you got that size QT then your DT is probably big ;) ... With enough hides though and well kept water I don't see it being a major issue temporarily.

What a relief. Lol i gotta start reading closer. Sorry about that OP.

About the tangs i have heard that purple tangs can be quite agressive.... Not sure if that one would be on my list.

If you get them you better post a pic of that naso tang though.. may be my favorite of all the tangs or the Achilles. :)

That's what I was wanting to do so that is great news. Thanks for te help

I wanted the Achilles but that is the most difficult of all tangs and I am just concerned about putting him in with 3 other tangs

Nu-Nu the eel said:
What a relief. Lol i gotta start reading closer. Sorry about that OP.

About the tangs i have heard that purple tangs can be quite agressive.... Not sure if that one would be on my list.

No problem, I knew after I posted I was going to catch some grief without posting my main tank holding. Thanks for the heads up on the purple tang, I might go a different direction on that one as its my least favorite for the price.

Ya honestly I wouldn't even do an Achilles in anything under 300 gallons cause they get massive and got a bit of an attitude along with their size. Beautiful fish though. Honestly nothing against your choice but I don't think chevrons are nearly as striking as other tangs yet they carry a hefty price tag.

What's your current stock list before the new additions?

Two clown
Two chromis
1 coral angel

All juveniles. This is a two month old tank. I won't get them for another 6 weeks as I just had a tang that I didnt quarantine get ich. I am in the process of hypo salinity in the main tank and I have all my invertebrates in my QT.

I am going to do a reef but wanted to get fish in first. I plan on also adding 2 wrasses and some Anthias. I do plan on doing this in stages over 6 months so no rush on the others. I just felt it woul be better to add all my tangs at once.

I have about 250 lbs of live rock as well with lots of hiding places

That's perfect then still a empty slate pretty much.. personally if I was doing 4 tangs I'd pick the blonde naso, an orange shoulder, a powder blue, and a kole yellow eye. Would be a lot cheaper but its all opinion so get what you like ;)

Back
Top Bottom