Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some knowledge about tangs but I just wanna see what you guys know about them..I'm pretty sure you can only have one in the tank right? Cuz they will fight? Also is it the same deal if I put different types of tangs in the same tank? It's a 55g tank

Ya I was planning but would different types of tangs get along?

Like would a powder blue tang get along with a yellow tang?

With a large enough (and established) tank, yes multiple Tangs can co-exist. The idea is to keep a variety of different colors and body shapes. In a 55g, its a really bad idea and its not gonna work. I'd say minimum 6' tank for either of those.

I have some knowledge about tangs but I just wanna see what you guys know about them..I'm pretty sure you can only have one in the tank right? Cuz they will fight? Also is it the same deal if I put different types of tangs in the same tank? It's a 55g tank

The general rule is to mix long tangs( surgeonfish) with round tangs for a more harmonious tank or long tangs with long tangs. Mixing round tangs becomes iffy if you don't have enough space for them to get out of each other's way or they are of equal size. That being said, round tangs should go in last as they tend to be more aggressive to newcomers of any shape. Also, if kept in schools, they tend to be less aggressive due to the hierarchy system in place within the school. (This of course can run into a lot of $$$ and the need for a bigger tank.)

Hope this helps (y)

whatever you do, please dont buy fish on the thought that you will upgrade eventually because more often than not, the upgrade falls by the wayside for some reason or another. mine as well just save up money now and get the big tank. also alot of the running equipment needed to support a 55g sw tank wont properly support a triple-digit tank (125,150,180) therefore creating the need to re-nuy equipment to get the big tank up and running

Like would a powder blue tang get along with a yellow tang?

I agree with the others that a tang really shouldn't be in a 55, even with the intention of upgrading (to who knows what size). Especially in such a small tank, a semi-aggressive tang would most likely be more territorial than in a larger tank. Just went to my LFS today and the owner had to take some fish out of a tank b/c a powder blue tang was picking on all of them even though the fish were his size. Not a good idea and there are plenty of alternatives.

Well I have a 225g I'm just establishing it

Why not just wait until you get the 225 cycled? Even then, you wouldn't want to add the tang in the beginning (especially the powder blue) b/c of the aggression assuming you'd want to put more peaceful fish in there. Better success in waiting IMO.

Back
Top Bottom