Tangs and Seaweed Algae Sheet Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edmond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just added a Clown Tang and a Yellow-Eyed Tang, as well as a juvenile Koran Angel in my 50 gallon tank. I purchased Seaweed algae sheets for them and put them on clips and they went through one sheet in about a day.

My question is, how often should I put a new sheet in the tank and is one sheet enough for the 3 of them?

I noticed the angel picking at it once in awhile, but he does not eat the formula 1 I give the rest of my fish. Is the algae sheets enough for him?

I feed a ½ sheet every other day to my Sailfin Tang, FoxFace Lo and Coral Beauty angel. All three have been in my tank for 3+ years and are adult size.

How large are your fish? All of them are recommended for a tank at least twice the size of yours.

How long has your tank been set up?
What other livestock do you have?
What are you using for filtration?
How often are you doing partial water changes?
Are you testing your water parameters regularly?

Fish like to have a variety of foods. Do you have anything besides Formula 1?
When it gets acclimated to the tank and hungry it will eat. But I am worried about stress from what may be an overstocked tank.

The tangs are about 3-4", the Koran Angel is about 1/2".

My tank as been setup for 2 months now.

I also have 2 small (1/2") percula clown fish and one firefish goby.

I am using an Eheim Eco Canister filter and a Red Sea Prizm Hang on Skimmer.

I have been doing partial water changes once a month and I test my water about once a week. Everything from the tests are fine.

I feed the clowns and goby formula one and flake food which they love. What else do you suggest for the Angel and Tangs?

I do the same as Cmor. 1/2 a sheet every other day. That is if I dont put a ball of grape calerpa in there for the tangs also.

Hmmm...
How's your nitrates? 2 4" tangs. Wow. You say the angel is a half inch? They come that small?

I do believe that clown tang should go back to the lfs if not too late. Just being straight. Hopefully you don't think I'm being too critical on ya. Clown tangs are not the hardiest either, and in a 50 gallon too.

I strongly believe your headed for trouble.

Last edited:
I tested last night and the nitrates are fine.

I agree, I will probably take the clown tang back, it doesn't seem to be enough space for him.

The Koran Angel is small, I would say no more than an inch at the most. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• n3306338_37141848_963.jpg
    n3306338_37141848_963.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 133
That koran gets real big too doesn't it? Might consider one of the dwarf varieties.

Edit: they do get big. Up to 15 inches! He shuld go back with the clown tang IMO.

You have six fish in a tank that is 2 months old. Two of those fish require a 100+ gallon tank and the other a 70+ gallon tank. These fish really need the space of a 6' long tank to swim in.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but you have added too many fish too fast and are headed for trouble. Please slow down.

Are you planning on a tank upgrade within the year?

Please tell us about your tank. We have the size.
What else is in your tank? Clean up crew?
Any Live Rock?
What is your substrate?
Do you have a sump?
Are you using any power heads for water movement?
What are the temp., pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?
Do you have any other tests?

What do you want this tank to look like in a year?
Planning on adding corals?

Everyone here wants you to have a successful tank, and a great experience owning, and maintaining it. We have all made mistakes. Please learn from our combined experience and save yourself a ton of money and misery.

I have 4 turbo snails
30 lbs of Live Rock
I have a fine sand substrate (I do not remember the type, but its not live)

I dont have a sump, I have a Eheim Canister Filter and a Prizm Protein Skimmer.

No Powerheads, just the outlet of the filter and skimmer as well as a lot of aeration from air pump.

Temperature is at 79, pH is at 8.2, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia all 0.
Salinity is at 1.022

I dont plan on adding coral or a reef at this point, at least with this tank.

If I am successful with this tank then I would like to go bigger in about a year.

I am going to give the clown tang back that is for sure. When I bought these recent fish, I expressed my concern that they would grow to be too big for my tank, but the aquariumist said they will grow to the size of the tank (guess thats not true). I've had these fish for a week now and everything seems fine, no signs of stress and they are all eating regularly.

Back
Top Bottom