Tangs are fighting... :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

We have a fairly large yellow tang and we just added a valemeni (sp?) tang. The yellow tang has done nothing but push, whip, and chase the new tang and I'm worried. What to do? Has this happen to you before?

75 gallon tank, 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp, and a blenny

The two tangs are the biggest fish in the tank.

HELP.

You mean a Vlamingi tang (Naso vlamingi)? If so, this tang will eventually outgrow your 75g. It is normal for two tangs to scuffle for territory, especially if one is newly introduced. Just make sure no actual damage is being done and they are just "flaring."

If they are flaring you can turn out the lights for a little bit and they will usually go hide or mind their own business.

Although tangs are, for the most part, fragile fish they can be very nasty to other tangs. I wouldnt put more than one tang in the same tank no matter what kind. And like Innovator said it will quickly outgrow your 75g tank.

Almost every site says that tangs can be aggressive toward each other.

I'm hoping to add 2 tangs to my 120g - one yellow tang and one other kind. The plan is to add them at the same time so one isn't territorial etc.

As long as they are two of the smaller species i would say they should be fine in a 120 because they will have plenty of room to themselves. There are some notoriously nasty tangs so do some reading and stay away from them.

GuOD said:

I'm hoping to add 2 tangs to my 120g - one yellow tang and one other kind. The plan is to add them at the same time so one isn't territorial etc.

Most tangs will scuffle regardless the tank size; however, larger tanks afford multiple retreating grounds. In a 120g two tangs should not pose a problem. Para/Acanthurus or Ctenochaetus sp. would also be an option with Zebrasoma, but realize these would rule the roost.

Innovator said:
GuOD said:

Most tangs will scuffle regardless the tank size; however, larger tanks afford multiple retreating grounds. In a 120g two tangs should not pose a problem. Para/Acanthurus or Ctenochaetus sp. would also be an option with Zebrasoma, but realize these would rule the roost.

Yep - My tank has a bunch of rockword and currently houses 3 damsels (3 stripe, bluefin, sg. major) and 1 tomato clown. I'm planning to add two tangs and leave it at that.

Just an update... the tangs are getting along great now. They swim back and forth together, so it was just a one night thing. As for the future size issue for our new tang, my boyfriend and I are going to purchase our own much larger tank (the tank we are working on now is his sisters) and place this tang in it when it gets bigger.

Back
Top Bottom