Tank change and substrate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a fish-only tank with perculas and a pseudochromis. I want to replace it with a moderately larger tank. The substrate in the tank is CaribSea flamingo aragonite reef sand. The tank has a lot of mostly green algae, both hair and bubble type.

Normally, I would move some of the substrate to the new tank for the biological benefit. I was wondering whether that means I will be causing an algae problem in the new tank. Otherwise, the new tank is a lot less likely to have algae problems because the entire setup will be better.

My other question is whether there is a shelf life to unused aragonite reef sand. I have some left from when I set up the tank, about two years ago. Can I use it, or would I be better off using something else anyway, like crushed coral?

Thanks!

I would not migrate your current algae problem to a new tank. If the sand is not the water packed type it should last a very long time. Definately stay with sand. Lots and lots of people switch from cc to sand but I've never heard of switching from sand to cc. And with sand there are some very cool fish and stars that you can't get with cc.
jmo hth
Mike

Dont add the sand from your old tank to your new tank as you will carry algea spores over which will do the same thing. Get new sand

Thanks. Should I also not use the powerhead and heater from old tank, which likewise have lots of algae? I might need to get a higher watt heater anyway, so not a big deal.

All is sound advice. Substrate is a matter of opinion. I started mine with CC and some sand, IME, it got dirty fast and looked kind of ugly. I, then, had the fun job of trying to sift out the sand, after moving the LR and probably stressing my fish. If I did it again, I would go with sand. Don't just take my advice, I am sure there are others that love the look of CC and propbably can give you pointers.

As for your algae problems. You may want to work on gettting that in check. If not, you will have the same issues in your new tank (congrats on the upgrade).

Thanks. I will go with all new substrate, but try to keep as much water from old to new as possible.
I think the new will have better filtration and lighting, so hoping no algae problems.

Back
Top Bottom