Tank Mates Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Webman33569

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I was looking to get some advice for what fist should go with my Blue Tag. I have a 72 gallon tank that has the blue tang, 3 damsels, and a clown fish in it. Until recently I had an adult foxface in there as well but my heater went out when I was moving the tank and he did not make it.
I tried to get a baby naso tang to put in there, I know they need a bigger tank as adults, but he did not make it through the weekend. Im not sure if my blue tang or the clown went after him but one of them did and snipped at his fin and I think this stressed him out too much. What fish do you guys think would make a good tankmate in this situation?

My guess would be that the damsels are the ones to worry about with aggression. Clowns can get territorial, but don't often go looking for trouble. It could be the Blue Tang... not to be the Tang Police, but most Tangs, outside of Koles or Tominis, need a larger tank. At the very least, I would worry that it would be territorial in a smaller tank.

I'd go with another Foxface, maybe a Dwarf angel of some sort and maybe some kind of smaller wrasse. I'd lose the damsels and the Tang though. Maybe consider a Kole or Tomini instead.

I would be ok with switching out the damsels for other fish, I actually got the 3 of them when I was first setting up my tank, but I would not want to get rid of my tang. That said, I have been hesitant with getting smaller fish because it seems like those are the ones that do not last, but it may just be because those are the ones the damsels go after. I have seen them chasing around the tomato clown a bit, and vice versa, but I didn’t see them going after the little naso I put in there, but when they are in the live rock who knows what happens. Also my blue tang is a decent size so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Naso and Blue Tangs need 180g tanks. There is a lot of discussion about the 6' tank rule for them, but I tend to agree that if they don't have plenty of space to swim, they will get territorial and also stressed. To me, both are not good for other tank mates.

If you ditch the damsels, maybe go with three Chromis. They school and tend to keep to themselves. Damsels tend to be nasty, even to each other at times.

I'm not sure that smaller fish necessarily means they will not live. If it is a small fish that will eventually get pretty big (tangs, angels, etc) I tend to like them at least medium size when I purchase them. I do think that size, due to maturity, makes a difference.

I would be ok with switching out the damsels for other fish, I actually got the 3 of them when I was first setting up my tank, but I would not want to get rid of my tang. That said, I have been hesitant with getting smaller fish because it seems like those are the ones that do not last, but it may just be because those are the ones the damsels go after. I have seen them chasing around the tomato clown a bit, and vice versa, but I didn’t see them going after the little naso I put in there, but when they are in the live rock who knows what happens. Also my blue tang is a decent size so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

U can try a sailing tang .. I got one with my blue tang along with 2 clowns 2 yellow face goby 2 firefish 2 skunk shrimps and im forgetting a couple more but yea ... Like everything cheap Things turn expensive in the.long run I was gonna buy a couple but I read they pretty aggressive ... Apparently they the oscars of sw lol.... Also try the yellow face goby he cool to watch also helps with maintnance IMO

Back
Top Bottom