Tank setup up in front of window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrouff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I've got my sand rinsed and all my equipment in place...just waiting on my rock shipment to come in sometime next week. But....before I went and started adding water and begin cycling I was wondering if what would be the drawbacks and problems if I was to set up the tank in front of a window? I'd plan on keepin the blinds shut most of the time and the window doesn't normally receive any direct light. Any cautions or warnings would be appreciated.

-Mark

I think you`ll be asking for problems if you do. That type light will be a big fuel factor for nusisance algea. I know what you say about the window blinds being shut but I`m sure it wont be all the time.

yeah from my experience, tanks in front of window are always having phosphate problems resulting in constant algea blooms like mel said. i would find an alternate location for the tank.

As long as direct lighting is avoided I don't see a problem and indirect lighting can be beneficial IME. Proper maintenance should curb the limited algae growth you could receive. If you do wish to block out external (natural sunlight) light you can purchase thin acrylic and paint one side blue and the other black, that way if you get bored of a background you can simply untape and reverse ;)

my concern would be temperature swings. I dont know how well insulated the windows are or how extreme your weather gets, but that would be something I would think about.

What side of the house is the window? South facing, I'd be concerned. North facing... probably not as much of a problem.

Hara's note about temperature is more of what I'd be concerned about as you can deal with water quality issues that might fuel algae problems. Poorly insulated windows right behind a tank will suck heat out of that thing like you wouldn't believe. My tank is in a corner and an outside wall is along the back. On cold days (not arctic mind you, but like 35F or so) I notice the heater light on considerably more than normal. And that's through an insulated wall.

well to awnser your question no. me and my dad have run numorous tanks off just sunlight. the only thing about widows is i forgot name of compound but it prevents some of the color rays that give the corals more vibratant colors, theyd look a little dull, but grew like mad. you would not have any problems with a tank next to a window. i mean corals use sunlight in the wild why would it hurt? and from my expirence alge comes from excess nitrAte or over water parms are off.

Algea also feeds off certain spectrums of light. That is why we change lightbulbs because over time the spectrum changes and is a fuel for nuisance algea. When sunlight goes through a window it is diffused and the proper spectrum is not achieved. IME I have known several people that had problems with algea that their tanks had alot of diffused sunlight on the tank. But of course this is IMO and IME.

I had indirect light in a well lit up family room. That even created algea blooms. I had to keep the lights off more and shades pulled down to kill off some of the blooms. Maintenance also played a factor. Once I got that squared away I still had that bloom spike each spring. Here in Alaska we tend to get a tad more light in the summer months.

Meanwhile the tempature swing along would cook the tank I'm sure. I have a portable AC (Yes in Alaska mind you) for my office in front of the hose (New tank location). I've only one window and it's closed with blinds drawn. Can't keep the tempature down in the room let alone by the window.

My two cents worth. If you do manage to place by the window, I'd have a back out plan just in case you need to move in a couple months.

What kind of display is this? Reef or fish-only? If a reef, sunlight will be no trouble at all. If it is a fish tank, nutrients might be in sufficient amounts that the sunlight will fuel nuisance algae.

Thanks for all the input. To answer a few of the questions, the window faces the south and directly outside of the window is a large lemon tree that offers a pretty good amount of shade. I'm planning on having a FOWLR system. I'm new to the aquarium setup and maintenance lifestyle, so I definitely don't want my first experience to be tainted by nuissance algae. Are snails, crabs and cleanup fish a possiblity? I've also considered tinting the window or installing some sort of outside shutter. As you all can probably tell, I'd love to have the tank in this particular area and am willing to at least weigh all the options before I consider tucking it away in another corner of my house.

Thanks again for any input and advice.

hmm just thought of another idea you always just get a background for the tank. maybe cover the sides and just leave the front visible if your that worried.

While that location is not optimum considering it is predominantly a fish-only display, there are a few things you can do. Are you going to have a background on this tank? That will provide a good bit of shade for the aquarium. Between that and blinds, you might be ok. A refugium, good protein skimmer, use of purified water, high quality salt mix, and careful feeding will also go a long way towards reducing the potential for nuisance algae issues.

The one thing that really concerns me is your lack of experience. All of these good husbandry practices don't come easily.

Back
Top Bottom