Tankmates--new SW aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olliethemutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just starting my SW aquarium. Haven't got much for it yet, but I'm working on it! It's 110 gallons and I have 6 fish in mind that I would LOVE to get and was wondering about them. I checked their compatibility and its mostly aggressive fish, except one. They are a snowflake eel, HumaHuma Picasso Triggerfish, Yellow Tang, Radiata Lionfish, a FoxFace Rabbitfish and my pityful Royal Tang (Hippo Tang). I figured since the Lionfish and Eel will spend most of the time on the bottom or out at night the Tangs and Trigger could have free roam at the top. The tank is about 4 feet long, 3 feet high, and about 1 1/2 feet deep. I was looking on one site and it said "Compatiable tank mates for the Snowflake Eel are: Tangs, Triggerfish, and Lionfish." If I introduce them all as "small" baby fish they should all be alright??? Right?
I've heard 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons of water... does the eel account for that too since they are usually on the bottom under rock?

And Yes.... I DO realize that ALL these fish are venomous in some way and the eel will bite. I have already thought about it and will take every precation nessacary to avoid getting barbed or bitten...

It`s more like one inch for every 5 gallons but even that rule does not work for your fish. Predator tanks you just cant go by the inch rule because they are just such sloopy eaters that it will be hard to maintain good filtration standards. I guess those fish would work even though the tangs would really like a 6 ft tank for swimming space dut I guess they would be OK. I would really make sure you had 1.5-2 lbs per gallon of LR and a good skimmer for excellent biological and mechanical filtration. Oh and BTW

100_1859.jpg

We are getting tons of live rock and sand and we have a Fluval SF5 on its way, and whatever they don't eat will be picked up after feeding time.

How big is/was your eel??? He is absolutely stunning! I can't wait! I will have to invest in some thick rubber gloves for feeding time..LOL Do they stay relatively small or do they get thick like the others? Most of the pictures I have seen they aren't very round..lol

I'm just afraid of the trigger "rearranging" the rocks with the eel in there, if he stays thin I will have to closely watch for falling rocks! Don't need a crushed eel! I will have to make sure they are sturdy and give some small rocks for the trigger to move!

He died a few months ago but when I first got him he was about 3-4 inches long but within 6 months he was about 12 inches long. I miss him as he was one of my favorites. They seem to be long and as you say not as big around. Make sure you have some netting on the top as they will jump out the tank.

Aw I'm so sorry, he was a beautiful eel. We are making a top to put on it so no one can get out and will make sure it is very sturdy! Don't want to come home to a dried out eel on the floor! Plus the dogs would probably play with it!

Back
Top Bottom