TDS in FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swordstool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a new 120g FOWLR 2 weeks ago. My tap water TDS is 50 ppm, RODI water is 0. I've tested the TDS in the aquarium several times over the last few days and it's 5,000-6,000! I'm using the AquaFX TDS Meter. For some reason I can't find a normal range standard for water actually IN the aquarium.

Is this high TDS in the aquarium a problem? I do have a diatom/brown algae issue for the first time ever, but I'm reading that that is common in a new FOWLR (but it never happened to me before). I'm running a Fluval FX-5 right now and just added a ****-ton of Phosguard to it last night (that's all that's in it media-wise right now, aside from some dry rock scraps).

Should I be concerned about the high TDS? Will lowering the TDS help get rid of the diatoms/brown algae?

(PS - Not to be a *****, but I already know that I need to watch out for nitrate breakthrough from the canister hahaha!)

Your tds is always going to be thru the roof in your tank . It's from all the salt and trace elements . Perfectly normal. The diatoms are normal too for a new tank. Once all the silicates in the tank get used up they will disappear.

One more thing. Should my sky-high TDS come down? How much?

It never going to come down in your tank . Just make sure the water you mix your salt with is 0 tds and it will be fine

Back
Top Bottom