Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gubernaculum86

Aquarium Advice Freak
The temperature on my 55 gal tank has been a little bit on the high side. It's currently at 82F. I know the ideal temp is around 74-78. But everyone seems happy and healthy.

I was wondering what negative draw backs could there be from having the temp this high?

It will be fine. The best temp is a stable temp. If you are having that temp stay stable then you`ll be OK. IMO optimal temps are 78-82. But the key is stability.

It depends on the type of fish you have... In some (like cichlids) higher temps can increase aggression, metabolism, etc. In other cases, nothing much happens, especially if you're within the range for your fish type, even if it's the high end of the range, so long as you're stable, and don't change by more than a degree or two per day.

The temperature also can impact how active the fish are. The warmer it is I think the fishes metabolism or something is higher and they are more active. For example, if I run my tank at 76 instead of 82, I notice the fish are less active, and for cichlids, can mean less aggression. It all depends on the type of fish. And yes, a stable temp is a must.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom