Term Question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I here a lot of talk about reefs and then I here fish only and then fish only with live rock. Now my question is... is a fish only with live rock the same as reef? A reef is a mixture of fish and inverts correct? If so doesn't 90% of live rock include inverts of some sort? So how can you have fish only with live rock and not just say reef?

Most people put fish that are not reef friendly in their fo tanks therefore the inverts don't last long. Also most reefs also include lots of corals, clams, stars, etc that usually don't get along with some fish. And I think you have to have excessive lighting with most reefs as opposed to fo or fowlr. This is only what I think and not absolutely sure that this is the only difference.

for the sake of terminology, a reef has coral life, fish only is just that, fish only with liverock is a fish only tank that used liverock methods of filtration.
Yes, reefs require much more intense lighting than the other two mentioned.

They're just labels we use to make it easier to say what kind of setup we have. Technically incorrect but still useful... after all, there are parts of a reef that are just sand flats so you could have nothing but sand in your tank and call it a reef.

I think the best way to think about it is that the terms are used to help guide readers on the intentions of the aquarium owner. If I'm having problems with my FOWLR then people know i'm probably not tracking/testing for CA, Iodine, Strontium and probably don't have high lighting. If I say i'm having Problems with my Reef then they may find it necessary to ask about those items above etc. Also, if I say i'm having issues with my FO tank, then they can assume most of the filtration is through equipment and can steer their questions/guidance in that direction.

From the dictionary.....

reef1 Audio pronunciation of "reef" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rf)
n.

1. A strip or ridge of rocks, sand, or coral that rises to or near the surface of a body of water.
2. A vein of ore.

Cheers
Steve

as helpful as that dictionary definition is....it would not be very pertinent to a question such as "what kind of lighting should I use on my "REEF" tank?"

Hara said:
it would not be very pertinent to a question such as "what kind of lighting should I use on my "REEF" tank?"
I was not responding to that.

I was responding to this....
Hara said:
no, a reef has corals

Cheers
Steve

ahhh, well, I stand by my words as that is a commonly used definition among hobbiests, as I doubt there are many that when they have a tank with a few inches of sand and water feel that they have a reef.

Back
Top Bottom