that darn pesky cyano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you guys think of chemi-clean
Boyd Chemiclean Red Slime Cyano Bacteria Remover

I know a lot of you are anti-dosing, but this would be my last resort. It has nearly all positive reviews if you read them. And the lady at the pet store recommended to me, she said she uses it in their tanks all the time.

in my old tank i tried Ultra red slime remover it worked great but it made my skimmer go crazy i did it as a last resort i was already running a phosphate reactor, didnt overfeed used ro/di water i guess its something all new tanks deal with sometimes

David S said:
The other option would be to build an algae scubber!!

Could you set me up with a good link to one or maybe some pics of yours.. I looked it upseems like a great idea

Could you set me up with a good link to one or maybe some pics of yours.. I looked it upseems like a great idea
Check this thread out,
Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) DIY build

I'm just in the process of building a small one for my clownfish fry setup.

What do you guys think of chemi-clean
Boyd Chemiclean Red Slime Cyano Bacteria Remover

I know a lot of you are anti-dosing, but this would be my last resort. It has nearly all positive reviews if you read them. And the lady at the pet store recommended to me, she said she uses it in their tanks all the time.

Chemi-clean works (follow the directions EXACTLY).... BUT... it only gets rid of what is there.. The conditions still exist so it'll come back.

What kind of food do you feed? How often? How much?

I'm wondering if the cyano itself can actually sustain the cyano growth.. from die-off?

Yes, the die-off will just release the nutrients back into the water. You have to removed the food source (nutrients).

That could be my problem then. I have troubles getting it all out. Thinking about tearing everything out and rinsing it off with some tank water during my next water change.

scottayy said:
That could be my problem then. I have troubles getting it all out. Thinking about tearing everything out and rinsing it off with some tank water during my next water change.

Try the chemiclean first!!! It works great, and taking everything apart could be even worse on your tank!!!
It worked great for me and after 48 hrs you have to do a water change anyways to get rid of the waste

Try the chemiclean first!!! It works great, and taking everything apart could be even worse on your tank!!!
It worked great for me and after 48 hrs you have to do a water change anyways to get rid of the waste

Yeah, I think I might try that. Just to get an upperhand on it and then see if it even comes back and if it does I might be able to get it all out or find the problem easier.

I have had 0 nitrates and still had this cyano problem.. though it could've been the cyano eating up all of the nitrates. Right now the nitrates are at 40 because I haven't done a water change in 2 weeks because I'm experimenting. Im seeing if the nutrients/vitamins in my salt get all used up and the cyano stops growing. Though now that I type that out it sounds stupid because my nitrates are rising and feeding it.

I'm going to dose the chemiclean this morning before I head off to the zoo.

Do a PWC before you dose those trates are gona go through the roof. that cyano will start to decompose before you have chance to remove it causing a spike

Good call.. I will wait till I get back tonight then. Going to the zoo! Huge underwater aquarium :D

I found out the hard way mine went from 20 to 160 in 2 days I saw that and went and bought a new test kit :lol:

Most of it is gone now! Still got another 12 hours or so before 48 hours is up. I'm trying to suck it all out as it loosens up.

My ammonia is about 1ppm and my nitrates are about 60 (haven't risen yet, really). All the rest of the readings are normal.

scottayy said:
Most of it is gone now! Still got another 12 hours or so before 48 hours is up. I'm trying to suck it all out as it loosens up.

My ammonia is about 1ppm and my nitrates are about 60 (haven't risen yet, really). All the rest of the readings are normal.

Good, keeping my fingers crossed for you :)
In a few months the cyano may be back so u have to repeat the procedure every so often. But next time you may catch it sooner and it wont be too bad ;)

Also, if the break out was bad the first time you may wanna repeat the treatment in a few days to get rid of it completely

Back
Top Bottom