Thoughts on a 40 Hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon Hex that I would like to transform into a FOWLR tank. I would like to get a dwarf Lionfish. I am open to suggestions, thought, constructive criticism, any thoughts on this at all. I do have an Eheim 2026 on the tank now. It is presently a planted fresh water tank.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions

Just an additional note, I am well versed in freshwater, this would be my first experience into salt.

Is it similar to this one? Hex tanks due to their height need excellent water movement and surface agitation to work for SW since SW doesn't exchange oxygen as well as FW but other then that it's ok. I assume you have never medicated your FW tank.

IMO Volitan Lionfish need a little bigger tank but there are a few Dwarf Lionfish to choose from that would work well with your tank size.

If you get 1.5-2+ lbs of base/live rock and a quality skimmer it would provide all the biological filtration you need.

My "Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank" post that has all the equipment listed that you will need and maintenance tips to help you enjoy your SW tank. It's a long read but will help answer all the basic questions.

More helpful info:

If looking for cheap live rock checkout intmarinefish.com which has lr for as little as $3-$4 per lb shipped.

Couple of more places with quality lr:
www.liverocknreef.com
www.liveaquaria.com
www.tampabaysaltwater.com

For base rock checkout Marco's base rock (currently out of stock). You can buy mostly base rock and seed with 30%-50% live rock and it will all be "live" within a year or so.

Post on feeding requirements of SW fish.

I have a 44g hex fowlr tank and I'd be hesitant to even put a dwarf lion in there. Most dwarfs get around 7" long and with the narrowness of a hex tank, it doesn't leave much room for maneuvering. Especially once you fill it with live rock. There are smaller fish that would be much better suited. JMO

I agree, get a bigger tank or get another type of fish. I LOVE lionfish, but they limit your other inhabitants and inverts.
Make sure you haven't medicated your tank with chems, especially anything containing copper.

I would look at liveaquaria.com and see what interests you, then post here and get some opinions. I am not trying to blow you off, but there are so many, so it is kind of an open ended question....

Back
Top Bottom