Time to add marine life: Fish or Inverts first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
The tank has cycled... well beyond cycled actually. The cycle completed almost a month ago. But I wanted to be "extra" patient and wait awhile longer before adding live fish to the tank.

Current stats: Temp 79F -> pH 8.2 -> Amm 0 -> Nitrite 0 -> Nitrate 5 -> SG 1.022

I'm doing a FOWLR tank for now, might add some corals in another 6 months to a year.

Trying to decide which marine life to add first. Fish or Inverts, or does it not really matter?

I want to add snails, crabs, a sand sifter starfish, couple cleaner shrimp, maybe a red reef lobster, a pair of clowns, maybe a dottyback, a possum wrasse, maybe a couple firefish, and maybe a Coral Beauty.

The list is not 100% done yet, those are just some of the inverts/fish I'd like to research a bit more and decide which ones I really want to have.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I added my clean up crew first. Maybe the crabs and snails now, others later?

I'd get some algae wafers for the crabs, and depending on the snail, seaweed sheets to feed just in case there isn't enough to eat in the tank.

I suggest doing some additional research on your marine life. That star might cause some issues (mm.. sand bed critters - yum!), as well as the Coral Beauty if you want corals (I think they may nip at them, and they may not, depending upon the individual fish), and some things on your list I haven't looked into at all, so I can't help you out there.

I do love the Firefish though, not much personality in my own, but very eye catching nonetheless. You'll likely learn why they're called Dartfish within the first week.

Back
Top Bottom