Triggers and invertebrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soffutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are there any safe invertebrates that can coexist with Triggers and not become a meal? Large snails, shrimps, urchins, stars, slugs, doubtfully crabs????

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the input.

I've had a Blue Jaw Trigger in my 240g and I've got a handful of hermit crabs and one big trochus snail. The trigger has paid zero attention to them so far.

I appreciate your comment. I think I am just going to have to give it a try and hope for the best. Hopefully if I keep him well fed he won't pay any attention to them.

I had all mine in prior to adding the trigger and I have heard that going that way sometimes helps.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. This is a new build for me so I will have the opportunity to do it like you did.

I have had a niger trigger for about a year now and he hasnt eaten a single hermit or snail. I do feed him very well though.

Thanks for that. I have designed the system to handle the heavy bioload and plan to feed mine well too. Between that and what I read as a general good disposition of the blue jawed triggers I think I will be ok to add a cuc.

If you notice the two who say they have had success also have triggers with the same body type and diet.
Urchins and crabs are not the first choice of Blue Jaws and Nigers, but for triggers with the diamond body shape IE; Huma Huma, Clown, etc, urchins and crabs are top on their list of goodies.
That is why their eyes are set so far back and the business end of the mouth is essentially a point, so they can get past spines and claws without much risk to the eyes.(y)

I think Blue Jaws and Nigers would be more apt to go for shrimp or other crustaceans that can swim, plus they both also graze on algae more than other triggers. you can tell by their mouth shape/structure.
Not saying they won't eat crabs and urchin's, just that other types of triggers are more likely to.

I agree with that. I cannot keep shrimp with my niger trigger, he loves them

Back
Top Bottom