Turning base rock live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vertex

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone, I have some cured live rock in my new setup (about 4 weeks now with lighting) and will be adding more base rock under this once it is finished curing. Another 2-3 weeks left I am guessing..

Once I put the base rock in, does it make sense to rearrange the rock and "flip it over" to help cover more of it eventually with coraline algae or does it get enough algae on it everywhere that it will no longer look like base rock... I am hoping that it will not obviously look like base rock eventually?

Also, how long will it take for 30lbs of base rock to be completely covered and not obviously base rock in a reef tank with good water circulation, high lighing and about 15 lbs of established live rock? Is this a matter of months or years or what??

Thanks for your help...

I used about half and half in my tank and in 5 months I have pretty good growth on the base rock. Eventually I won't be able to tell the difference. It does take a while but I think it's worth it($$$). If you put live rock on top of the base rock it will seed the bottom rock quicker.

Sweet, that is great to hear. Considering I'm waiting about 8-10 weeks just to cure my base rock, 5-6 months doesn't sound that bad for converting this in my reef to something I might actually want to look at...

I built my own base rock from cement and crushed coral since I couldn't find any good local base rock here in Calgary (hey you're from Edmonton I notice, a local practically!!) but I am quite happy with the shape and look of it. I think it will be easy to aquascape and I'll likely start a larger batch of home made rock once this goes in my system. I suspect I'll catch the reef fever and want a bigger system in not too long so I may as well prepare now...

Thanks for the info...

Edmonton Eskimo, I am just wondering as well if you had to move the rock around to help expose all areas of it or did you just place it and leave it?? Will any algae still grow on the underside if it is shaded from the light?

That's funny that you ask. I just finished rearranging my tank and the parts of the rock that aren't in close proximity to live rock is still pretty barren. Moving every 2-3 weeks would be beneficial. How do you make your rock. I've been thinking of making a "daddy rock" for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom